Slighty Ratty Thrift Store Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a thrift shop find of not-so-distant vintage judging by the forks. not as cool as many of the finds that i see here, but it's got some nice rust here and there :D i put a small chainring from a youth 20" bike on it tackle the plentiful hills in my area, and also some good tires. repacked the coaster hub and the bottom bracket. i'd like to put a coaster brake up front a la bikebuilder's method.

i enjoy riding this slightly ratty bike!
img_9308.jpg

GodHatesCleveland said:
Why are they so much more fun to ride when you get them cheap? And just think, today across the country there was probably a bunch of families that paid $100-$150 at Walmart for a bike that won't last half as long.

part of the rat bike appeal for me is the back-to-basics reminder that fun can be had on a bicycle without spending a fortune on it and without wearing a spandex superhero outfit :wink: (lots of Serious Bikers in my area) mostly it's the rat aesthetic, but i do get a kick out of riding a clunker.

Thrift stores are great sources...these are both thrift store scores.....with a few mods...black one is mid 80's Huffy, white one is early 90's Huffy. Cheapest bikes I own, and the most comfortable!

was single speed coaster with ugly bars/seat/wheels...now has new bars, seat, wheels w/SA 3 speed,52 T chainring, red tires
100_1035.jpg

100_1037.jpg

single speed coaster....
100_1010.jpg

new bars, wheels, and 10 speeds!
100_1067.jpg

RZ94, the black one with the red wheels is sharp. i'd like that 3-speed coaster brake set-up on my bike.

my bike is a Murray that i suspect is from the 90s, based on the fact that it is old enough to have been made in the US but recent enough to have that uni-crown fork.

The wheel set on the black bike came from Nirve, with the S/A 3 spd hub & shifter....I think they may have switched over to Shimano Nexus now, which isn't bad either. I have to update my pics of this one. Scored a black diamond pleated Electra seat at a swap meet that "fits" the look of the bike much better and I've blacked out the chain guard. Nothing against Huffy (left the headbadge on), but it "disturbes" the look...funny about the red tires.....when I park this bike anywhere, that seems to be what catches people's eyes, and the comments I hear, some of them are just too funny! The uneducated think it's a real antique!

Latest posts

Back