Sleeping Giant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. It's gonna be some time before I show what I'm actually gonna do with the lights up front. But here's one of the things I tried in the meantime
20201101_180951.jpg

Quick note on the boxkars shifter.

Mine arrived with the cable adjustment barrel bent. Probably from shipping, but it must have been a super hard whack because it was packaged up really nicely.
20201028_125354.jpg

I emailed Jeff at Boxkars about it and he got back to me almost immediately saying he was sorry it arrived like that and he would ship a new part that day.
He did this on his own cost and initiative with out any prompting from me.

He was also friendly and communicative throughout, giving me updates on when my shifter was anodized and shipped.

If you're on the fence about getting one of these, don't be. They're such good quality and from a good company. If you have the money for one in your build I would say it's well worth it.
20201103_095111.jpg

Haven't made any progress. But because it's been a while since I posted an update, thought I'd put up a couple of full bike pics of where it's at, and make a list of what's left.

20201124_121536.jpg

20201124_121810.jpg

Still to go, roughly in order:
  • Finalize headlight mounting.
  • Headlight plate/shield (could get scraped).
  • Buy battery, decide where and how to mount it (hide it).
  • Electric horn (motorbike or small car).
  • Install switches/buttons to control lights and horn.
  • Route wires for headlights, tail lights, and horn.
  • Cut/install brake and shifter cables.
  • New front tire.
  • Put a chain on it! Lol, almost forgot that one, kinda important.
  • Clean and polish/wire brush chain guard.
  • Fab mounting brackets and mount chain guard.

Wishlist / May ever happen list:
  • Saddle bags (for battery?).
  • GPS speedo (need to decide on this sooner, because I'll want to include a power switch for it with the other controls.
  • Get rear wheel redished.
  • Bafang mid drive kit :crazy2:

Looking at what major transformation took place I didn't realize how much work you still have before it is ready to roll.
In this headlight configuration rectangular headlights go also very well with triple tree forks, due to the another rectangle formed by the two fork crowns.
Because of the seating position (and the handlebars
position) the bike is quite rear heavy. You plan on putting the battery in bags, but I would install it in the center frame triangle to distribute the weight a little better.
Are you planning to connect the horns and the headlights to the motor battery or you will use a secondary power source for them, like a motorbike battery or something similar?

Looking at what major transformation took place I didn't realize how much work you still have before it is ready to roll.
If I wanted it ready to ride, it could probably be done in one wrenching session. But I'm kinda going overkill on this one. :bigsmile:

In this headlight configuration rectangular headlights go also very well with triple tree forks, due to the another rectangle formed by the two fork crowns.
Because of the seating
I looked at those. The triangle ones are also cool stacked. I couldn't find any that met my requirements for proportion, power usage, and price.

As it stands now, they're going to be mounted through an alu plate/shield. That's not shown. So they'll look quite different from what's in the pics now.

If I get some time I'll draw up a mock on the computer. The photos of the cardboard one I currently have are not worthy of display.

Because of the seating position (and the handlebars position) the bike is quite rear heavy. You plan on putting the battery in bags, but I would install it in the center frame triangle to distribute the weight a little better.
If you mean visually, it doesn't actually look as rear heavy as in these pics. My basement is an unfinished, chaotic mess, still full of building materials so I can't get into position for good photos without rearranging everything. :headbang:

If you mean physical weight. It is rear heavy, but not as much as you'd think. The frame is alu and the forks and bars are steel so they don't actually weigh that much less. The 8 speed IGH is heavier than the front drum, but not by much.

It is something to keep in mind, but it balances pretty close to center on the stand, and when I've taken earlier interations on the road you still had to work to pop a wheelie.

I can always strap a nice leather tool roll on the forks and fill it with lead. :grin:

Are you planning to connect the horns and the headlights to the motor battery or you will use a secondary power source for them, like a motorbike battery or something similar?
The motor and its battery are waaaay in the future, if they ever happen. I really don't need an ebike. I just want one cause they're cool. And I want to pretend like I'm and early motorcycle pioneer, but from the future :bigsmile:

For now they'll have their own battery, but when it's ebike o'clock the plan will be to run them off the motor battery. Or maybe I can set it up so they can run off either, and hook up the secondary battery only for long uphill night rides. This, and issues of voltage regulation, stepping, etc. are problems for future Verrtinski to deal with.

What I have my eyes on right now is a 12v 16ah deep cycle lifepo. Weighing in at a little under a lithe 4lbs/2kg. If my terrible amp hour calculations are correct, it should give be able to power one headlight and the tail lights for quite a few hours, the second headlight is just going to be on a momentary switch to use as a flasher.

Okie dokie.

Christmas brought some bike related presents and last night brought some progress.

Duro diamond tread 26 tire for the front. Looks perfect, but makes me want to change to a similar tread 24x3 for the rear, which is practically impossible.
20210107_231811.jpg

I got two kickstands. One is ugly on the bike, the other is amazing but doesn't fit the style of plate I have.
It could possibly be modified to fit, but I'm loathe to take a saw to such a nice brand new part. We'll see.
20210108_010603.jpg

Half link chain. Looks awesome.
20210107_231832.jpg

Got an expansion doodad for the top cap. Saves me having to install a star washer.
Don't know if I'd trust it on regular forks, but is fine on triple crown.
20210108_013048.jpg

Battery! My wife gets me the best gifts.
Fits perfectly under the seat too. Just have to make some kind of bracket or box to attach it.
20210107_231920.jpg

Need better solution than bungee cord.
20210108_012506.jpg

Speaking of making, my sister got me a sheet of aluminium. :cool:
20210107_232223.jpg

In my stocking was this magnet wrist band thing for holding screws and things.
But it fits nicely on the top of my workstand, and is strong enough to hold spanners :thumbsup:
20210107_223044.jpg

Overall progress pic. As well as everything else, got the brakes and shifter cabled up. Will cut the cable ends short later, after I'm 100% sure they won't change.
20210108_012412.jpg

There's still something not quite right in the proportions. Possibly need to lower the front end an inch or two.

Last night's progress brought to you by, The Cure, two play throughs of Dark Side of the Moon, David Bowie, and There is a light that never goes out by The Smiths.

on your wish list you wrote "saddle bags", plural. Personally, I like the Swedish style of just one bag on one side. Maybe?

I think the chain is in the wrong direction.
I have seen such a kickstand (on the right) and yeah, pretty nice.
I also agree it is a shame they don't do this tire in 24x3.0
It is? :bigsmile:
That's the direction I've always put half link chains on. I should probably look that up.

on your wish list you wrote "saddle bags", plural. Personally, I like the Swedish style of just one bag on one side. Maybe?
I like it too. I prefer it on like a scrambler or adventure styled bike.
On the other side would be a race number plate or high rise exhaust pipes.

On this bike I'm not sure it would go :39:

I need your suggestions RRB!

I'm looking for a nice looking flexible conduit I can run from the back of the bike to the front, and possibly up one side of the apes.
Would need to fit about 4-6 electrical wires in it. Doesn't have to be waterproof, or even made for purpose, It's just for the look, and to keep the wires all together.

Jimi has like a chrome coil around his throttle control.

Something like this would look good. Only scaled down for bicycle proportions.

ca2cc92ae1688ce4f8e43a419592b68f.jpg

I think I have a braided fridge water supply hookup going spare somewhere. That might work.

And if I hide the ends it won't look so much like plumbing.

The plan has always been for two stacked lights. (The lights I'm using are shown a little earlier.)

But I'm starting to wonder about doing a single light and using the saved real estate to do something a little more interesting than a flat panel with two spotlights pokingout.

Speed holes, race numbers, inexplicable mesh panels, something :39:

Maybe I've been looking at too many streetfighter bikes on google images, what do you think?

Latest posts

Back