Sleeping Giant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best things (IMO) about cycling is that one doesn't need anyone but themselves and a bicycle to participate. Sure, I've had some great rides with friends over the years but have also had some most memorable moments in my life on solo ventures.

View attachment 126675
^ a few years ago, scoping out a most Troublesome part of Colorado. I'm going back to this place as soon as the snow melts off this year, solo or otherwise.

That's true. But I moved to a foreign country, to a city where I knew no one, then made some of my best friends through cruising with a group, so bicycles for me are about community.

I'm even hesitant about solo rides, due to the population density around here and having an at risk person at home.

If I had some isolated trails I'd probably be out there every day trying to fend off the madness :bigsmile:

Last edited:
One of the best things (IMO) about cycling is that one doesn't need anyone but themselves and a bicycle to participate. Sure, I've had some great rides with friends over the years but have also had some most memorable moments in my life on solo ventures.

View attachment 126675
^ a few years ago, scoping out a most Troublesome part of Colorado. I'm going back to this place as soon as the snow melts off this year, solo or otherwise.

I ride solo more than 75% of the time. I look at it as "me time"

That's true. But I moved to a foreign country, to a city where I knew no one, then made some of my best friends through cruising with a group, so bicycles for me are about community.
I was teleported from Fruita, CO to Orange, CA in 2005, talk about a foreign country. I rode solo most of the time in the six years spent out there, mostly at night. I made a few great friends while riding and enjoyed those times, but never let the availability of those friends get in the way of me going for a ride on the regular.

Two steps forward, five steps back.
Progress report in the morning.
20200706_004221.jpg

I wanted to get that look of the the old school chopper with the front brake line just kind of making its own way down to a fat drum on the front wheel and I think it looks pretty good.
20200706_003110.jpg

BUT! I made a really dumb mistake. I measured up the housing, checked it twice. Grabbing the cutters, snip! I'm greeted with frayed ends on the inside. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on... I left the cable inside the housing. :mad: :envy::20:

The air turned blue for quite some time after that. Now my front cable is about six inches too short and I don't have another long enough.

The other goofy thing I did was completely blank on the fact that this bike has verrtical dropouts and needs a chain tensioner for an internal hub. Can't believe I didn't think of that until now. So I stole a tensioner of another bike. But don't really like the look on this bike.
20200706_002436.jpg

Still not sure about the seat, and I feel like the bike looks a little front heavy.
Thinking about, rear fender, panier bags and maybe a tank to beef it out a little. (Mock ups to follow)
20200706_004826.jpg

Changed the electra tire on the back to a kenda something something. While they're both 24x3 the kenda looks a little beefier. Might not be a big enough change to see in the photo

Also put a fatter tire on the front, it improves the balance a little. This probably won't be the final tire I choose, bit something like it.

I wasn't happy with the seat, so I messed around with posts and adjusting until I got the banana to sit where it looks good and is rideable. I can touch with both feet and my knees aren't by my ears.

20201021_211249.jpg

Now, I'm waiting for my 10th anniversary present to arrive before there's more progress.o_O

Oh also, the new front tire was a bear to get on. I had it seated after about 15-20 mins, inflated it, then I hear my favorite noise...

Ssssssssssss
:headbang:

Changed the electra tire on the back to a kenda something something. While they're both 24x3 the kenda looks a little beefier. Might not be a big enough change to see in the photo

Also put a fatter tire on the front, it improves the balance a little. This probably won't be the final tire I choose, bit something like it.

I wasn't happy with the seat, so I messed around with posts and adjusting until I got the banana to sit where it looks good and is rideable. I can touch with both feet and my knees aren't by my ears.

View attachment 142324

Now, I'm waiting for my 10th anniversary present to arrive before there's more progress.o_O

Oh also, the new front tire was a bear to get on. I had it seated after about 15-20 mins, inflated it, then I hear my favorite noise...

Ssssssssssss
:headbang:
Looks fantastic Leon!!

Going through some stuff I stumbled across the original photo from the CL ad when I bought this bike 9 years ago.

IMG_0818.PNG

Was a present for my wife. She loved how it looked and hated how it rode. It's also too tall for her.

Then she discovered mixtes, I doubt she'll ever ride a cruiser again.

Wowsers that's a big change. Looks like your lady and I disagree on appearances. To me, the old version looks like a turd compared to where it is at now! I really hate those comfort bike "suspension" forks, with their silly little curve at the end.

Wowsers that's a big change. Looks like your lady and I disagree on appearances. To me, the old version looks like a turd compared to where it is at now! I really hate those comfort bike "suspension" forks, with their silly little curve at the end.
Was a good looking bike for what it was. It's feminine without being girly, it has some "retro" sensibilities without being cheesy. Not saying I don't like my version more, but I'm sure there's a personal taste factor there.

I agree with you on the fork. As far as it being the low point on this bike. At the very least they could have color matched it to the frame. The frame had really nice thick paint with metal specks in it, I actually would have kept the paint if it didn't have a couple of big gouges init. Fork has boring gloss black that flaked off as soon as it got cloudy.

I still have the fork. I'm holding onto it because it's an unusual 1 1/8 threaded fork. You don't see that very often. It'll go on something one day.

I'm looking for some design input, but I'm not ready to post my thoughts in public yet.

DM me if your interested in seeing what I have in mind and offering your 2c.*

*Any advice given may be completely ignored. Not responsible for hurt feelings :happy:.

I'm looking for some design input, but I'm not ready to post my thoughts in public yet.

DM me if your interested in seeing what I have in mind and offering your 2c.*

*Any advice given may be completely ignored. Not responsible for hurt feelings :happy:.
Advice administered and taken.

Probably won't be any updates until the alu sheeting arrives in the mail :cool:

Latest posts

Back