Sledsel got some new shoes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing up in Michigan, my dad always took me to the NSRA Nationals in Kalamazoo, Mi. One of the best shows. Good choice using Paint With Pearl. They're a good company with high quality products. I had to go with Roth metal flake for my Agent Orange build just because PWP didn't have the right color orange flake I needed. Roth is a great product too but they seem to cost more than PWP. If it was me painting the Edsel, I would lay down a maroon metallic paint for the base then the flake. It takes a lot of flake to cover a black base coat. I usually put down a similar base color as my flake, you will use less flake and it gives it a much deeper look to it. That's just from my experience from using flake over the years. Either way you go, the Edsel is going to look great.

You can't go wrong with flake!! When I do different sized flakes, I put the micro down first then the larger flake. It gives it a sense of depth. The micro under the larger flake looks like it's way deep in the clear. Kinda makes the paint look about an inch thick.
Good tip! It makes sense when you think about it, the smaller flake covers more...

Luke.

Growing up in Michigan, my dad always took me to the NSRA Nationals in Kalamazoo, Mi. One of the best shows. Good choice using Paint With Pearl. They're a good company with high quality products. I had to go with Roth metal flake for my Agent Orange build just because PWP didn't have the right color orange flake I needed. Roth is a great product too but they seem to cost more than PWP. If it was me painting the Edsel, I would lay down a maroon metallic paint for the base then the flake. It takes a lot of flake to cover a black base coat. I usually put down a similar base color as my flake, you will use less flake and it gives it a much deeper look to it. That's just from my experience from using flake over the years. Either way you go, the Edsel is going to look great.

Thanks, I am leaning towards a blood red to maroon base. I have done plenty of metallic acrylic enamel single stage paint jobs in the 80's (wet look hardener) with good results. And earlier, we did everything with lacquer, you could do a crap paint job out in the wind and then go back and sand it smooth, buff it up, and enjoy. I don't have much experience with newer products, if left to my own experience, I may go back to lacquer for this project

I'm using lacquer to paint my Agent Orange bike. Two reasons, I found the perfect color of metallic burnt orange, and it was about $300 dollars cheaper then enamel paint. I still use lacquer a lot. Some people say it doesn't get as shiny but if you clear it, it's just as shiny as enamel.

Latest posts

Back