Skip tooth adaptor for a newer Shimano hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these yesterday in the mail, and I am very impressed at how easy they were to install and well built they are. They were cheaper then the Dremel bits I would've had to buy to grind them down. Plus they are the correct thickness for one inch-pitch chains. I just had to grind a hair down on one notch. I think I can get the Rollfast off with some solvent.

paintballgun003.jpg

paintballgun004.jpg

paintballgun005.jpg

They are cool. Too bad they don't offer 10 tooth or even 11 tooth. 9 kinda forces you to use a 24 tooth or smaller front sprocket in order to maintain ridability even on the smallest incline.

Joe

I've emailed back and forth with the guy that makes these - 10T & 11T will follow. He also states that they are a little noisey when you first start using them and they quiet down as they wear in. When mine is delivered I am going to bevel the teeth just like the originals and I'm assuming that will do it. He has full width teeth on there so as the teeth engage the chain my guess is there are like miniscule collisions going on and that's why they are noisey. Still, being the correct thickness will help prolong the life of the chain which being skip tooth is the important and expensive part. Do you have any idea how much a skip tooth chain with all original finish costs? I only have one.

PS If you live in a fairly flat area as I do the 9T is great. I use a 26T up front and the 9T in the back and hoof it!

Road Master said:
I've emailed back and forth with the guy that makes these - 10T & 11T will follow. !

Can you please let me know where I can get these from, I need to get some this week if possible. I checked Memory Lane but not see them there. Thanks in advance,

Mike

I ordered a couple more from Memory Lane on Monday $20. I have pretty strong legs, so hills aren't too bad. Unless there is beer involved, I like to go fast anyways. Just tried mine out on the weekend for a ride with the gf around one of the provincial parks, a little off roading in the mud with no issues. The noise is pretty similar to my '47 Hawthorne. I give this cog a thumbs up! :D

Kool. I was contemplating buying a couple from him for my rims I bought from ind-chuckz. Now that I have heard the testimonies i'm in!!

Got this one going last night. I bought a handful of the sprockets directly from him, he shipped next day and they are very good quality. I de-burred all edges on both sides with a small rat tail file (what else) and beveled the side of each tooth and operation is smooth and quiet. The 9 tooth is the same size that was stock on the New Departure hub, and with a Shimano 3sp:

1st gear is fairly low, easy enough for fairly steep hills without getting off.
2nd gear is slightly easier than stock 1 speed set-up, good for cruising.
3rd gear is for flat ground with a tail wind or if you are going even slightly downhill you can really haul.

I have wanted a modern dependable multi-speed hub with a skip-tooth set-up for years and am very pleased with this solution, the sprocket solved everything. No cutting, welding, machining or grinding.

Wow that's a beautiful DX! Are those double drop center rims? I love what you did with it. Very kool indeed.

slick said:
Wow that's a beautiful DX! Are those double drop center rims? I love what you did with it. Very kool indeed.

Thanks for the compliment, I built the bike in '94 when I was between jobs so I did not have the funds to do it right, so I used the parts I had at the time ... The frame, fenders and rack on the bike are post-war but everything else is prewar and I painted it in a prewar scheme. The rims are drop center with double-butted spokes, just built them up this month.

Mike

While we on the subject of rear skip tooth sprockets and such...did Bendix ever make a skip tooth sprocket for their MANUAL 2 speed
rear hubs?...I'd like to put one of mine on the '49 D-15 straight bar but want to keep her a skipper...any help? Thanx,Pappy 8)

Pappy said:
While we on the subject of rear skip tooth sprockets and such...did Bendix ever make a skip tooth sprocket for their MANUAL 2 speed
rear hubs?...I'd like to put one of mine on the '49 D-15 straight bar but want to keep her a skipper...any help? Thanx,Pappy 8)
Not that I know of, I think those came out around 55-7, just after the last skip tooths were made. -Adam

Latest posts

Back