'Skin Deep' Ironing out a stretch. DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This bike is destined to be the ugliest bike that I have ever built.:blackeye:

I have been working on a design for a new stretch cruiser, but this will not be it.
However, the geometry will be applied to this build. Hopefully it will let me know if the design on paper will ride comfortably or not. If not, it will tell me what needs to change before I commit to the time and resources for a bad design.

I'll be using parts of a frame that I literally pulled from the dump. It was bent very badly but I should be able to straighten it enough for this experiment.

I didn't think to take a photo of the donor bike before I disassembled it but here's one like it from the web.
4768100051_6532478c4b.jpg

More to come.

I didn't have the luxury of riding a real stretch first to give me a base line, so this is the next best thing. Hopefully the time I spend on this test bike will save me time and materials down the road.

Plus it will be an opportunity to practice welding my first frame.:happy:

Welding isn't difficult, but that wal e world frame is pretty thin. Good luck, and I'll be following along.

Welding isn't difficult, but that wal e world frame is pretty thin. Good luck, and I'll be following along.
The reclaimed scrap tubing that I'm looking at using is even thinner! Should be fun.:21:

Great idea. I built a stretch from a 60's rollfast. I used a cruddy knock-off welder with very limited heat control. I still own and ride that bike, so you should be able to carry out your plans without too much trouble, even if the tubing is a bit thinner. Your best bet is to insert short bits of scrap tubing with outside diameters that match the inside diameter at the joint. Then, even if the welds aren't perfect, the joint will be strong. I'm sure you already know all of this, but mentioning it anyways.

The tubing is very thin wall, but I feel confident that it will be strong enough after it's all tied together. I'll know when I sit on it for the first time. :21: If not, I'll cut it apart and try something else.

Haha, I hear ironing board and I'm thinking the whole thing on edge and you can fold it out for a side car...
Front foot raked up in the air for the head tube...
Yeah that idea's not gonna work...

Merle. :crazy:

I cut the ironing board apart and clamped one of the legs roughly in place to have a look. I'm beginning to think that it's not going to be quite as ugly as I thought it would be. Might have to change the name. :D
100_4534.jpg

I’m liking the humpback look, it gives a nice place to nestle the seat in behind it. Particularly with pedal forward design of a stretch.
Looking forward to seeing more of this ‘ugly’ bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back