Silver Lining

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4th side 1.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how she's coming along!
I've given some thought to a bagger style look, or I have some 2.3 and 2.5 nobbies, or even a front shock..
Fenders are usually a right pita for me.
The big tires make a huge amount of noise, and may very well destroy any handling it has!
I'm concerned about a schwinn style springer looking too generic,Macargi much?( and I don't have one)
I do have a Monark and Girvin forks, but I think the Girvin may be too modern, might try the Monark today..
Debating a 3" Beach Bum rear tire, only $18 shipped on ebay right now!
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Last edited:
I'm pretty pleased with how she's coming along!
I've given some thought to a bagger style look, or I have some 2.3 and 2.5 nobbies, or even a front shock..
Fenders are usually a right pita for me.
The big tires make a huge amount of noise, and may very well destroy any handling it has!
I'm concerned about a schwinn style springer looking too generic,Macargi much?( and I don't have one)
I do have a Monark and Girvin forks, but I think the Girvin may be too modern, might try the Monark today..
Debating a 3" Beach Bum rear tire, only $18 shipped on ebay right now!
Thanks for all the encouragement!
Graham, this bike fits you perfectly! It has really come together nicely. I would steer clear (pun intended) of using too modern of a fork. It has such a nice vintage vibe to it now. Agreed on the 3" beach bum....but why stop at the rear only? Mo fatta, mo betta! :grin: Unless you want more of that dragster look, with the skinnier front. Now just add some rust to the frame and you'd have the perfect rat bike! :21: Is the blue staying, or do you have paint / patina plans as well?

Taking a moment or two for thought, and I need to keep progress happening w my vw.
The paint is actually a lot worse than looks in the pics, debating a slogan/catch phrase for the chain guard.
I'll change the sprocket when adding a fatter rear tire, will probably have to trim the chain guard to make it fit, ho hum!

Those bars are killer and I like the lines of this stretch.
It reminds me that I still have an old Huffy tandem frame to play with.

What's the latest on this cool build, Graham?

I realized/remembered that the nexus three hubs need a specific amount of shaft for the shifter to work properly, so I spaced mine out with some washers and now have three speeds! Granted I still need to change the cable to the centrally mounted shifter, but was lots of fun to ride it up hill, and got a satisfying "Wow!' from some kids at a nearby school!

TICK TOCK
11 days
Time to come out of hiding!!
Don't forget to post in the finished section in time.

Good call, my apologies.Been in mild shock after a post Sunny side up incident when both rack and bikes went flying off the car...

YIKES!!!

Latest posts

Back