Silver Lining

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow builders!
I've owned this downtrodden Tandem for a while, but as my godson and daughter both forbade me messing with it, it's been lurking..
(no camera, so here's a pic of a newer version, imagine this w 10 years plus hard living..)

tandem 1.jpg

Last edited:
Vague idea is to make a semi recumbent stretch, sitting down in front of rear seat post!
On a recent yard sale score, met a custom builder who had fat tired stretch, which kinda inspired me!(I thoroughly enjoyed the test ride, but it was perhaps too cumbersome for any kinda distance riding)
When we discussed my bike problem, they replied they had 100 and 30 or so, and I noticed some gargantuan bars, an almighty 37" across, 26" pullback! I offered $20, he told me $10!
Getting started this afternoon, I removed front seat and rear bars, slung on said wide bars and bungeed a seat on!
Wobbled around the yard, semi hunched!
Thinking of a 3 speed coaster, I have two shifters, a tall SA, short Shimano, might mount one by/on first riders now empty seat post...
Pretty pleased with today's start, very thankful how the last build off encouraged me to be productive, although I probably won't enter three bikes this time..

Last edited:
I like your idea...
I have a similar project intermittently going on in "Builds"
Will be watching yours.

Carl.

Looks like rear derailleur wont fit with the nexus 3 coaster, I wonder if I will need it for tension..
I trial fitted the black wheel set from my Electray, pedals too, glad the back end now seems fatter, was concerned I may need fenders for balance.

Last edited:
Looks like rear derailleur wont fit with the nexus 3 coaster, I wonder if I will need it for tension..

Looks like you have somewhat horizontal dropouts which should allow some chain tension adjustment for running single speed style with the internal hub.

keep the rubber side down!

Latest posts

Back