SIL's BDay Present: Que Sera Sera, Done and Delivered

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks really sporty as she sits. White basket would work in front too....do that and I'm pretty sure she would never get off the bike!

SIL's BDay Present: Que Sera Sera, Done and Delivered!

Hey Thanks a lot everybody!!:):)
Sorry I didn't get to add more build pics or comments this year but "Life" was getting in the way.

Okay so I got this bike in trade for two cheap 700x23 tires. It had been rescued out of a recycle bin. It was my first rat rod bike and my Wife and me loved it (even with the bent crank and fork).

So seven years later, we decided to spruce it up for my Wife's sister's (SIL) Birthday since she was driving to MN anyway. My wife had a lot of input (Thank You Honey!!) and helped with getting all the stickers straight (she has mad scrap booking skills;)).

Mid Sixties Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer twin top tube frame
New (to me) Schwinn crank assembly, pink cruiser pedals, and road bike fork
70's High-rise handlebars with 80's BMX grips (perfectly faded)
Fancy springer seat with solid aluminum seat post
White chain (stolen from my Wife's Eliminator, Sorry Honey)
70's aluminum kickstand (stolen from my bare metal Schwinn)
Kenda red wall tires and pink aluminum rims with white spokes
Japanese wrapping bell (which inspired paint job)
Tri-colored artsy paint job

So here it is all together:
Prerequisite garage door pic
IMG_2047.jpg

I figured out the spacing and my wife did a nice job of the stickers. You maybe see more of how I used the Japanese "wrapping" bell for inspiration for the tricolor artsy paint job. All the taping work was worth it:). The pink pedals actually matched the pink rims :eek::)

IMG_2056.jpg

My wife had a great idea for the head badge to be flat black because it balances the black part of the seat. "60" stands for 1960, SIL birth date. Definitely a girly bike with the flower LOL. It's interesting to see the bell from this angle still looks matching pretty close to the frame.

IMG_2051.jpg

I like the silvery letters and star stickers. I even put a kick stand on it LOL.

IMG_2059.jpg

We decided we wanted her to start riding it so we didn't put the basket or other doodads. SIL was very surprised and happy, Yeah!!

IMG_2061.jpg

We took it out for a ride for here to get a feel for it and she was comfortable with it right away:):):). She said it was smooth and easy to ride. She even started goofing around with it like a little kid and it cracked me up.

Ride20MontageII.jpg

We rode around and it was good to see the sisters riding together

IMG_2073.jpg

So another happy rider and another build off wrapped up. I'm a happy man!!
IMG_2078.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement and nice comments throughout the build.
We didn't get a group ride in with FIL because of all the other activities going on but that's how it goes sometimes.

It's been great build off!!! Lots of cool ideas and great bikes.:):):)
Thanks for looking, see ya on the finished line...
Steve

Awesome job my friend!!!!
Did you try to pop any wheelies when she was goofing around with it.
Great story and build!

Latest posts

Back