Sidecar build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Got this thing from a friend of mine, This guy is a super professional motorcycle sidecar guy. He gets jobs like brand new Indians, and lots of prople bring their weird stuff to him for him to resto. (Marushio, zundap, jawa) He does excellent work. More of a real rider's resto than concourse, although, he has some super shiny stuff! His place is called "sidecars and more", it's half hobby shop, half sidecar business, half musuem, and he restos and flips like, private market tanks and amphibious vehicles...
Anyway, you get it. We are two peas in a pod. He has lots of cool prewar stuff, which he knows i love, and he likes to see things go to a good home. Hes a good guy.

He got this sidecar at some "cupcake" auction hes always talking about in NY. I inquired, we settled a debt, and hes going above and beyond, offering to motorize the bike with his motor or one of mine. That makes my choice 1 of two chinese frame mount genaric 49cc whobanger, or one of two electric scooter motors ( better for passengers? ), or a rack mount rear wheel friction gas motor, or something from dads shop, a snowblower, outboard, kitty cat... ... dad's sugestion was a 250cc air cooled mx engine.... hmmm.... if hes offering...?

Anyway, back to reality. Im gonna drop off a bike, take the tub home, have him fit the sidecar, bring back the finished tub, and bam. Sidecar for Lucas. I was thinking of this initally for my dog. The final product will hopefully be fairly practical, and meet a need. I will probably request both the sidecar and sidecar tub be relatively quick release, and id like to have a flatbed for cargo made to go on top of the sidecar frame.

Heres what im thinking

upload_-1.jpg

+

upload_-1.jpg

Just not sure i want to motorize this frame. I would modify the sidecar and put an electric assist on the sidecar wheel, but i dont think that outrigger wheel would drive the bike very well. or even at all straight.

Perhaps the Copake Auction??:rofl:

Neat Sidecar. Looks like it might be a cinch to build one like it, with flat sides and all.
You'd need to be able to cut and weld, of course.

Nice to see that my home town isn't the only town with a crashing helicopter monument...:grin:

Heres what im thinking

upload_-1.jpg

I do believe having the bike motorized by attaching a miniature helicopter in such a fashion would make it difficult to ride.

On a more serious note that side car does me give some inspiration for when my bike is motorized. My fiancee wants a side car to be made for it.

Latest posts

Back