Show of hands

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of rodding a 60's JC Higgins Flightliner. It will retain its factory red paint (scars and all) but I had to put a different fork on it, which is not a good color match as is.

Help me decide between gloss and flat black for the fork.

It will have flat black wheels (3 speed Nexus) and blackwall tires.

Your thoughts please.

Will there be any other gloss black on the bike? Otherwise I'd go flat black. With the rims being flat, and the frame sporting some battle scars, a glossy fork may end looking too busy.

Of course, if you really can't decide, you could rattle can one fork leg flat and the other glossy just to see how each finish looks on the bike.

Either way, be sure to post some pics!

-Mp

*disclaimer* this is just my opinion

does this bike have the tank? and is it white? if so I would go with white maybe
I have a flightliner and its red with a white tank and white paint on the chainguard too
just a thought

Here's the full run down of this bike.

Stock red frame, matching red facotry rear rack (with small twin bolt on reflectors under the lip facing rearward) No tank, no chainguard.

The stock fork was bent too bad to use and it now has a fork off a $19 Walmart closeout special, which looks better and better accepts the wider hub of the new wheelset. I also plan on adding the old style chrome truss rods to the fork.

Chrome apes (off a 60's Rollfast), chrome Schwinn stem, factory white grips.

Chrome Schwinn mag chainring, Schwinn cranks, stock Higgins pedals.

Flat black rims/stainless spokes, 3 speed Nexus (shifter mounted on top tube if all goes according to plan). Balckwall IRC Metro II tires.

I am thinking a Krylon Semi Flat Black for the fork, a happy medium between gloss and flat (plus I already have a full can).

I also have a spotlight off a police car to mount for a headlight. Can anyone recommend a place to get a visor for it?

Thanks to Rat Rod and this site I am finally motivated enough to finish this project up. I have been toying with it for over 2 years.

new_dharma said:
ultra-flat (camo black)...much flatter that flat black, but not as flat as primer...

i am a dork for quoting myself...

Krylon makes a rattle-can camo paint (also available in brush on...which could probably be 'gun-sprayed')...it's called [odly enough] Camouflage paint.
black, white, olive drab, gray, black [oops, said that]...they are availabe at NAPA (shameless plug...i work there) and probably other retailers that sell Krylon (NAPA does NOT carry the 'brush-on' in stock).

http://www2.krylon.com/main/product_tem ... ct_details
^^^^^
for more info!

Latest posts

Back