should i slap myself?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the Ducktail Run hot rod show in Gas City, IN today i can across this in the swap meet. he said it was a 40's something. probably because it had a plate on the front that said 43. it had a solid rear tire that was taped onto the wooden rim. the front rim had no tire. someone painted the wooden wheels. the sprocket on the rear hub spun freely both directions and didn't grab. the right crank would rub on the the right chain stay and made a ground out grove in the frame. some of the spokes were busted and they just braided them onto the spoke next to them. i couldnt really make out the badge because someone painted that too but it almost looked like it said "patina" (i know thats not right :lol:) in script. he was $100 firm. i came back and looked at it like ten times but figured it would be a money pit and a space hog so i ended up walkin away.

bike001.jpg

bike002.jpg

bike003.jpg

Would have been people here that would have bought it. I feel like you made a wise decision grasshopper. You still have a $100 and an old junk bike is still sitting somewhere at somebody's house. You probably should have bought some of the spotlights if they were reasonable. This is just my take on the deal.

Money pit or not, definitely worth the $100 even if you part it out. If the seat is savageable that could get some good dollars. It looks to be an early motobike frame, maybe 20's. The giveaway is the fender int he back. It looks like a thicker steel one that was used in that time period. Also probably a higher end bike as in the early years 1/2 pitch chain were a staple of bikes that were meant to last a long time. I would kick $80 cash at him and see if he shakes.

Joe

i more than likely would have bit but Lavrente is bringin me a schwinn hornet tanker tomorrow and i was already carrying a stack of unneeded odds and ends i found :lol:. so ive already blown last weeks pay check. i could always go back tomorrow morning :idea: :?:

Uncle Stretch said:
You probably should have bought some of the spotlights if they were reasonable. This is just my take on the deal.

left with four :lol:! one is a yellow ford lamp and is similar to the one in the photo. you'll see soon :D .

shfewww...thought i was gonna be shunned here. i'd love to have in in my collection but i know its way over my head and budget with the wooden wheels. i'd make the drive early if someone would be 100% interested? then have a bike shop ship it. id even haggle for ya :lol:

on a good choice note. i picked this horn up for $12. he said it was off a Model A? hah, it sounds like it has a rough smokers cough and if u squeeze it wrong it hits puberty and goes all high pitched and squeeky. itll be on a rat soon.

horn.jpg

It kinda looks like a B model Schwinn, maybe not. Worth the $, provided you really want one! But how many basket cases does one really need? :lol: ~Adam

ida skipped over the bike and bought the barrel of monkeys. :p :lol:

thesuicideride said:
i know ive seen that sprocket on here somewhere but im not sure what from.

i wanna say monark, but doubt it is the original for this bike. ida bought it only because it would be the first prewar bike id own and id justa built it up with different wheel set and newer parts as a rod.

roadmaster said:
thesuicideride said:
i know ive seen that sprocket on here somewhere but im not sure what from.

i wanna say monark, but doubt it is the original for this bike. ida bought it only because it would be the first prewar bike id own and id justa built it up with different wheel set and newer parts as a rod.

good call! ern has a manark silver king in the swap meet with a similar chainring just maybe upgraded to that year a bit. i really wanted that saddle too. but i already had a full schwinn tanker comin into town for me the next day. plus the loot i already blew on random no goods elsewhere.(yeah i bought some homemade clogs, ill give them to someone for their birthday :lol:) im kinda regrettin not snatchin it now. it would have been my first prewar too. $100 seems fairly reasonable, im sure i coulda wiggled him for less. he saaaaaays :roll:, he has the original bars and would sent them to the buyer next week once he digs em up...riiiiight.

yeshoney said:
Money pit or not, definitely worth the $100 even if you part it out. If the seat is savageable that could get some good dollars. It looks to be an early motobike frame, maybe 20's. The giveaway is the fender int he back. It looks like a thicker steel one that was used in that time period. Also probably a higher end bike as in the early years 1/2 pitch chain were a staple of bikes that were meant to last a long time. I would kick $80 cash at him and see if he shakes.

Joe
id say the giveaway is the actual frame it self, and the 1/2 pitch statement ???????
definately worth a 100 for parts & if frame is straight ,with no major cracks or cancer
i would have talked him down by picking it apart though

Latest posts

Back