BO15 Nouveau Style (previously Shop-rod)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a little something I'm making for myself. Alfa romeo engine, vw chassis and aluminium body designed and made by me.
DSC_1720.JPG

No, really, it's called Mary.
When I brought the donor vw home, my girlfriend said "holey Mary, mother of God, look at the state of that"
And the name stuck! Lol

I imagine if the same situation happened to me... The reply would be something like "Co do K...y!"... I wouldn't want my car to be named "K...a"... :21:

So after an age removing the bright orange paint off the frame, I've, er, painted the wheels bright orange!
DSC_1891.JPG

In true hot rod style it should have been bright red. But I only had bright orange in "stock", left over from another build.
I've had to reign back on the spending on this as the wheel blunder has blown the budget. So I've not bought new paint.
I think orange will look cool though

It's a little something I'm making for myself. Alfa romeo engine, vw chassis and aluminium body designed and made by me.
View attachment 121569

I think it's amazing that someone can shape metal like that. Doing one side is one thing, mirroring it on the other side and making it match is mind boggling. I admire guys like you!

Aren't bees black and yellow? Tigers are black and orange. LOL

Either way, cool color combo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Moving on to the handlebars. Obviously they are an odd size! The chrome has rusted off in a few places so ideally I'd like to replace them. But none of the bars I have in stock fit. So I'm going to use the originals, but I'm not going to paint them.......

Also, I would prefer to have no cables on the bike at all. This is one of the reasons I went for a coater brake. But in England the law states that you must have a front brake. So I'm using a barend lever and running the cable inside for as much as I can.
Pass me the drill and hammer!
DSC_1892.JPG
DSC_1893.JPG

I will be tackling the rest over the weekend

I thought I'd better do a quite dry build before I go any further (and there is much further to go!)
It also give me a better idea for the design of the storage area at the back.
I do plan to paint the crank but I'm not sure if I will use this one. I think it's a bit modern, even though it's actually older than the frame.
DSC_1894.JPG

The rear box is going to be made in sections. Firstly I need to make the inner box. The dimensions of this are quite specific. I want it to be just big enough to hold a laptop. Yes a laptop!
I figure that this bike could be used as a city commuter bike and will aim to market it that way after I've made it. Yeah I know I should keep all the bikes I make, but I really can't spare either the space or money.
So anyway, it's going to be a hotrod commuter bike.
I started by working out the size I need and went from there.
DSC_1897.JPG

I have a lovely folder that works with an electro magnet to clamp the metal. Unfortunately it went bang a few months ago. So, until I can afford to replace it, I have to use clamps.
DSC_1898.JPG

It's a pain as each bend takes ages to set up.
The sequence of bends has to be worked out carefully but even then, the last bend has to be done with pliers
DSC_1900.JPG

Latest posts

Back