Shipping - GOTCHA right in the wallet@@!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
OUCH! is all I have to say. Yesterday was the first time I shipped out items under the new shipping cost structures for 2013. Kicked me right in the wallet. Looks like smaller items are costing $1.50 - $3 more and frames and complete bikes are a minimum of $10 more and from CT to AZ (the most expensive) up almost $20!!

Fedex - has decreased its service radius and so now charges a surcharge for traveling outside of the major hubs. They had this before but it was tolerable except for the remotest locations.

Check the shipping calculator before giving a price. Just so you won't be suprised!

Joe

I wonder what the justification for that is since fuel prices are down from last year. I realize prices generally go up every year, but I am just curious what the official answer to that is?

Yes I agree, shipping isnt cheap.

But you would be surprised what all you can fit in a priority 3 day envelope. I have shipped a complete crank, chainring and bottom bracket in one. if it fits... it ships!

At least four sets of grips, pretty sure I could cram two sets of pedals in one. four or five stems, a couple of coaster hubs, etc.

If your selling on eBay, you can pretty much charge double the cost plus a buck or two :roll:

Ratfink1962 said:
If your selling on eBay, you can pretty much charge double the cost plus a buck or two :roll:

Yep, I'm selling guitars on there right now, and I have a $10 handling charge, which covers delivery confirmation and insurance. -Adam

I do a lot of sales on ebay weekly, i have noticed prices went up a tad. I never charge for delivery confirmation or a handling fee as I try to keep it cheap as possible for the buyer. I mean I sell a good amount (about 5-10 packages a day) on there and don't really see an impact of it but its started to add up !! I believe Im going to start doing so, also boxes and packing add up also ...

Just a suggestion, if you can work it out with your buyer. Sometimes it is cheaper to ship to the nears Service center, be it USPS or Fedex. Then hold the item for the buy to pickup.
I get a shipping deal at work, but it must be shipped to a business to get the best rate. So I usually ask if the buy will accept packages at work. In the case of the buyer working out of there house. You just add the business name to the Company section. It works out for me.
Also if you have issues with shipping, just don't do "shipped" prices and quote the buyer instead. If they want to pay the shipping then be it, if not move onto the next guy.

If you are shipping via FedEx, be sure to try out http://www.bikeflights.com. Great site and everytime I have used it, the FedEx is cheaper than http://www.fedex.com.

I have now started using UPS because I just found out that I can get our company discount there.

Got some good news and bad news for you guys, just a heads up really. Bad news prices did go up, good news no more filling out delivery confirmations as they are now part of what comes when you ship an package. I started to hand her my delcon slips and she's said no need they have a new tracking system that adds one to your package automatically ! Parcel post is now parcel select or standard mail which also comes with tracking/delivery confirmation shipping that package.... The tracking/confirmation number is on your recites now so don't throw them away !!!

Latest posts

Back