shimano 3 speed shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Im working on an older specialized rock hopper. the problem Im having is that the front derailer moves fine the cable is freely moving and when the cables not hooked up the thumb shifter it shifts smooth but once everything is hooked together and adjusted it dont want to shift. can these shifters be rebuilt?

Does the shifter just move freely and not engage ? If so it could be as simple as lubing it. That being said,Ihave the same situation and lube fixes it for a bit and then it goes back to slipping. I looked at the inner workings,looks simple enough but I can't get it to work consistently.

I don't have any experience fixing them but have you taken the shifter apart to check the innards that go around the cable stop/post piece are in good shape? That and I would check that cable end for problems. Does the front derailleur move by hand freely with the cable unhooked? Couple of ideas that came to my mind. I'm sure there are others on here that can come up with better suggestions. If worst comes to worst replacing the front derailleur components is not expensive.

Latest posts

Back