Shelby Hiawatha Arrow 'Regrestoration'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is a collaboration project between myself and Brant Mackley in New Mexico. Brant pieced together all of the parts necessary to build a 1938 Hiawatha Arrow and passed off all of the painted parts to me to do what I call a 'regrestoration' on them. Afterwards, they will be shipped back to him for the rest of the build.

All of the pieces will be media blasted down to bare metal, repairs made, and then individually prepared for paint. At that point the paint process will be a sort of regressive 'New Old Paint' meaning that despite being new, it will take on the characteristics and warmth of an 82 year old (used but not abused) survivor.

Along the way I will also take the opportunity to make molds from some of these rare sheet metal parts for future fiberglass reproductions!

Here is the starting point:
Shelby Arrow pile 'o parts.jpg

I actually started some of the work a while back after the parts first arrived. Some of you on facebook have already seen the tank but here is where it started.

The tank had some minor damage. You can see some of it here.
IMG_1616.JPG

The red insert had a dent that was 'oil canning' but I was able to hammer it out with a shrinking dolly and finish smoothing it with some filler.
insert repair.jpg

To work on the tank halves and keep everything properly aligned I made a work surface that allowed the internal bracing to extend through and out of the way.
IMG_1657.JPG

This will come into play later when it comes time to make the molds.
IMG_1656.JPG

I've been waiting to schedule time at the fiberglass shop at Unique Motorcars and finally got in this week!
The first step was to spray the plug with gel coat.
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

More to come in the next few days!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

The rear rack looked pretty sad at first glance, but no too bad under the layers of house paint and rust.

img_1909-jpg.1139719

The home made add on braces where removed. the wavy dented metal was hammered out and I also welded up the extra holes. Sorry, no process pics but here it is after the repairs and a final pass through the media blasting cabinet.

img_1910-jpg.1139720

After a coat of high build primer the body work began.

img_1911-jpg.1139721

img_1912-jpg.1139722

I'm guessing this might be a precursor to RRB BO #15? :nerd:

I'm guessing this might be a precursor to RRB BO #15? :nerd:
I've learned not to rule anything out when it comes to the RRBBO's. The past few years at this time I've been thinking that I'll sit the next one out and focus my attention on summer home projects but then I find myself building bikes again.:21:
If I get the Shelby tank and rack molds finished before then it will be hard not to want to build one up for sure.

But to answer your question, no it's not in my plans right now. I've got to finish this bike and get it shipped back to New Mexico before I can think about building anything for myself.

Latest posts

Back