Shelby Hiawatha Arrow 'Regrestoration'

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I finally took the mold apart. Everything looks good at this point. It just needs a little fine tuning and it will be ready to start making parts soon!

Of course there is still a lot of work left before having a complete tank. This is just the first step, but it's a big step!

The Renaissance Man

Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This past weekend I focused my attention on finishing the tank mold.

The first thing was to sand out any imperfections. I started with 220 grit on the worst places and worked my way up to a final wet sand with 1000.

I didn't stop to get an action shot but next I used polishing compound and followed with 9 applications of mold release wax. That took most of the weekend due to allowing an hour to an hour and a half between applications.
Here's the result:

Yesterday I took the finished mold back to the fiberglass shop for gel coat.

And this is how the day ended.

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful work.:41:
have you ever thought of making wide gothic fenders for cwc roadmaster? it is very difficult to find a reasonably priced pair.
Me and a friend of mine were thinking on how to get a profile like that, thinking over building a rear reflector. Actually if you just take a 100mm wide fender available at the market, cut out a stripe from the middle and weld it back, you may get a profile very similar to original gothic :)
Though i would be happy to see them too!

Reactions: RustyGold

The Renaissance Man

Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
beautiful work.:41:
have you ever thought of making wide gothic fenders for cwc roadmaster? it is very difficult to find a reasonably priced pair.
I'm staying focused on the Shelby parts right now. Still lots to work out.

Been sanding the frame with a Scotch disc getting it ready for primer. It's in very good condition.

The Renaissance Man

Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is a strange little oddity.

Two of the three Shelby front fenders in the parts pile had very similar extra holes in them.

After much discussion with @Freqman1 and some detective work it seems that both apparently had suffered the same fate. It looks like the original slotted hole must have broken away leaving a washer size hole and then someone 'fixed' it by drilling a new hole about an inch behind to bolt through. So wierd, they look almost identical!