She-Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I drive past an old shop near town occasionally and have seen this poor girl slowly rusting away beside it. I stopped one day and took a couple of pics, which I posted here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75358 to get opinions about it. Originally I thought about a full blown restoration since a friend owes me some powdercoating work from a previous trade but after talking with others here, and crunching the numbers for other stuff needed to make it look right, I quickly realized that the cost vs. value was too far apart.
I stopped in at the shop anyway and ended up getting the bike for free so I’ve decided to see how far I can go while spending little or no money on her. My overall plan is to scrape as much rust off as I can to expose as much paint as I can, then clearcoat it and see what it looks like. I’ll repair/replace all the moving parts necessary to make her road worthy and go from there. She’ll be ugly, but I feel confident that I can get her rolling again and I do love a challenge. Thanks for the advice I’ve already gotten (particularly regarding cottered cranks) and please feel free to throw in any additional advice, comments, corrections, suggestions, sarcastic remarks or bad puns. I’m in this to learn and to have fun.
From what I’ve been able to gather (which isn’t much) this Aristocrat is a rebadged Batavus, a Dutch company that’s still cranking out bikes. Batavus I’ve heard of from past moped projects.

First things first, I hosed it down with PB Blaster and WD40 on every nut, bolt, connection, basically anywhere that would need to move, and walked away from it for a few hours.
DSCF0192_zps312e7fa4.jpg

Centrix hub
DSCF0193_zpsf954e296.jpg

DSCF0194_zps3ac06eee.jpg

Came apart like a dream...And she's blue!
IMG_1464_zpsfdcbf2e6.jpg

Scrubbing with green scotchbrite pad and warm soapy water to remove rust but save paint. Taped off stripes to save as much as possible.
IMG_1471_zpsfbc08394.jpg
IMG_1474_zpsba3edd71.jpg

Crank set cleaned up nicely with chrome polish and oooo steel wool.
IMG_1468_zps2699a764.jpg

Day one is in the bag. More later. Thanks for any input!

She's Getting There

Badge cleaned up well.
DSCF0202_zps843205b8.jpg

Front wheel cleaned and repacked.
IMG_1510_zps7effa3e6.jpg

Frame ready for clear coat.
IMG_1517_zps246006c2.jpg

I can see it!
IMG_1513_zps008fdfa5.jpg

Day two is in the bag. Next up: Back wheel and round up tires, seat, bars, etc...

Day Three:
Painting Completed. Two coats of rattlecan gloss clear followed by two coats of matte clear.
IMG_1550_zps6b605161.jpg

IMG_1549_zpsc8daa83d.jpg

IMG_1548_zps2431cb49.jpg

IMG_1544_zps842bb62e.jpg

While the paint was drying I worked on the rear wheel.
IMG_1552_zpse952ae71.jpg

This was the hardest part of the project so far. The entire wheel was covered in a hard yellow coating which I can only assume was ancient clearcoat. oooo steel wool and chrome polish wouldn't touch it. I finally attacked it with carb cleaner and a toothbrush and eventually got all the old varnish off. Then went back with steel wool and polish. Cleaning and repacking the coaster hub was pretty interesting. I've never had one apart before. There are some Youtube videos on the subject that helped a lot. Pretty ingenious mechanism, actually.

Day three complete. Now the painted parts are hanging in the attic to dry while I wait for the mail to bring miscellaneous parts I've scored in the "for sale" section of the site. Low bars, a ratty white seat and whitewalls!

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice work so far, really good work saving that frame...

Luke.

Thanks. It actually wasn't hard, mostly just tedious and time consuming. Warm, soapy water and green Scotchbrite pads...working small areas at a time. The tricky part was knowing when to stop because at some point you start removing paint instead of rust.

Almost There...

Spent today cleaning and repacking the head tube and bottom bracket. Both buttoned up with no issues. Put everything back together with exception of parts I'm waiting on. Next up: Whitewalls, white seat, white grips and white pedals. Boom.
IMG_1583_zps121ca271.jpg

Beautiful renovation, what a gem! 8)

That's going to look perfect with the whitewalls and white seat.

Well, It's getting closer! Just trying to resolve a front wheel issue and give everything a once-over.

IMG_1613_zpsc1d00e60.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsc65ec480.jpg

IMG_1618_zps30608af9.jpg

IMG_1616_zps471a1d72.jpg

Zombie She-Rat...Back From The Dead!

Got sidetracked by another project but finally wrapping this up. I couldn't find another whitewall for the front so I went with black. Now I'm not sold on keeping the whitewall on the back so I may swap that out. Scored the basket on CL for $10.
So, rear tire not withstanding I'm calling this one done. Rides like a dream too!

IMG_1706_zps9e007e29.jpg

IMG_1705_zps3728b3d7.jpg

IMG_1703_zpscdca879e.jpg

Thanks Luke. It was a learning experience, which is just what I was after!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

Back