SG-3C41 vs SG-3C41-DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched all over the interwebs and I'll be darned if I can find anything comparing these two hubs. Looking at the spec sheets the only differences I can find is that the DX comes with a silver sprocket vs black for the non-DX. Also the DX gets a cap nut for the left side rather than a flange nut. There's gotta be more than just that.

The reason I got on this search is because I ordered the SG-3C41 for my project and I'm thinking the spoke holes will be too small for the 12 gauge spokes. I was hoping possibly one of these has larger spoke holes. I noticed Felt uses both 12 and 14 gauge spokes on their cruisers with the Nexus. I'm guessing they get two different hubs, but they all look the same to me. Do you think Felt drills out the holes? I would ask Felt, but they've never replied to any of my questions in the past, so I won't waste my time.

Any help is appreciated!!

Oh, and if anybody has drilled out a hub for 12 gauge spokes, what size drill bit did you use? I'm thinkning 1/8" bit. A 7/64" should clear, but would be kinda tight.

Found answers on Amazon, (might not be very good ones).
will 12 gauge spokes fit?
asked on February 21, 2017
Yes I do believe so
Niles McCaskill answered on February 21, 2017
can I use heavy gauge heavy duty spokes with this hub
asked on February 21, 2017
Shimano recommends #13/#14 gauge spokes. Heavier than that is a waste of time but you can install if they slide through the spoke holes in the hub.
Margaret Middelraad answered on February 21, 2017

I have shopped for Shimano Nexus 3-speed "wheels" online; some of the pictures of the rear hubs do show some fairly fat spokes. Not sure if that would apply to all variants of the internal gear hub family. I just don't remember the spoke sizes on any wheels that I actually received.
upload_2018-2-23_12-0-9.png

1999 GT Dyno Ultra Glide (3-spd).
upload_2018-2-23_12-0-53.png

2001 Kustom Kruiser Deuce (3-spd).
upload_2018-2-23_12-1-48.png

1990 Worksman M2600 (3-spd).
upload_2018-2-23_12-2-20.png

2010 Worksman Industrial Newsboy (3-spd).

Latest posts

Back