• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Seeking basically all components for a klunky bikepacking build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently acquired a '92 Stumpjumper FS, soon to not be an FS:

The Stumpy, '92-'20.jpg

Fork, headset, stem, all gone (those proto-Rock Shox only provided like 10mm of travel anyways, plus have weird measurements) -- so I'm basically starting from scratch! Maybe you can help?

The idea: 3" tires on the front wheel (that I'd like to build up, so in need of rim/spokes/hub), disc brakes with 160mm rotors on a chunky new fork up front, atop which will sit a huge front rack; minimal-length 1 1/8" threadless stem with low-riser BMX style bars; single chainring/single-speed crankset up front, with nice wide pedals; 10 speed (or whatever, honestly) in back with 2.35" tires; and a seatpost to put a saddle on. Whew.

I'm excited!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's on that Stumpy, but it isn't the same as on my Hardrock. Curious about what it is though... Do you have any more info or pictures, @leotaxil ? If it's a Mag 21 oil and air, there are some bits I'd really be interested in, if not the whole thing
Ps thanks for the heads up, Cap!
If

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's on that Stumpy, but it isn't the same as on my Hardrock. Curious about what it is though... Do you have any more info or pictures, @leotaxil ? If it's a Quadra 21 oil and air, there are some bits I'd really be interested in, if not the whole thing
Ps thanks for the heads up, Cap!
If
My pleasure good sir

Okay, little bit of a warning, that is the Future Shock, the 92 model had a recall:
"Specialized Future Shock (which was manufactured by RockShox) provided a miniscule 50mm of air sprung travel up front, although the 1992 version of the fork was recalled a couple of years later due to the tendency for the crown bolts to loosen, which led to a number of instances where the crown separated from the stanchions. "

Taken from this article about Ned's 92 race Stumpjumper.
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/ned-overend-1992-specialized-m2.html

Yeah, the whole front end will be replaced -- don't want suspension if my dog will be riding up front

Cool frame but a weird place to start for a bikepacker. The only fork I can think of that meets your criteria would be like a surly troll fork maybe? I'd look for a frame with a rigid fork from the start so you can get that extra headtube length, lower front load height, and hopefully a shorter top tube if you want run BMX bars.

It is a weird place to start, for a bikepacking situation. But the central motivation for this proj is what is most fun? and the heart wants what the heart wants! (And, ahem, what the wallet will allow.) This won't be getting used for anything more serious than day-or-two-long trips, some park-and-ride adventuring upstate, and mostly for getting around NYC (which I've been riding steel road bikes in for 10 years -- enough with the potholes already).

For the parts, I was thinking a Surly Big Easy fork would do the trick. For the bars, I'm basically looking for something like what the Schwinn Sidewinder came with (LINK), so wide but not quite as drastic a rise as BMX, and two-piece.

Cool frame but a weird place to start for a bikepacker. The only fork I can think of that meets your criteria would be like a surly troll fork maybe? I'd look for a frame with a rigid fork from the start so you can get that extra headtube length, lower front load height, and hopefully a shorter top tube if you want run BMX bars.

I'm of two minds about Crust Bikes in general – their vibe is cool, the prices are not. Very stylish, but also too trendy/hipster-y. That Clydesdale would be rad, though

Just received the frame today -- am in need of a rare part, a Surly Troll 26" front fork in Salt white. Bueller? Her name is Zed.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1591.jpeg
    IMG_1591.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1589.jpeg
    IMG_1589.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 83
Just received the frame today -- am in need of a rare part, a Surly Troll 26" front fork in Salt white. Bueller? Her name is Zed.

Troll or Bridge Club fork will work. Both are 420 length and 43 offset. Bridge Club doesn’t have the brake bosses, so will look cleaner since you’re going disc.

If you’re building wheels, I have an XTR rear hub I’d sell you cheap. Was going to put it on eBay. Also have some V-Brakes (nothing special) and a set of BB7 Avid brakes.

Thank you! That is all super helpful.

The hub -- just bought a Deore XT 10spd rear derailleur, as long as it works with that I'll for sure take it. How much for the Avid brake? I only need one disc for the front. And would take a peek at the V-brake, of course

Troll or Bridge Club fork will work. Both are 420 length and 43 offset. Bridge Club doesn’t have the brake bosses, so will look cleaner since you’re going disc.

If you’re building wheels, I have an XTR rear hub I’d sell you cheap. Was going to put it on eBay. Also have some V-Brakes (nothing special) and a set of BB7 Avid brakes.

Latest posts

Back