Sears Spyder Low Budget Rebuild - Grape Crush

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG

Im going to basically rebuild this Spyder with parts I have and a budget of $50. I see the need for a chain, a rear tube, and a brake cable. The existing bars, stem, fork, front wheel, crankset, pedals, chain guard, rear fender, rear tire, derailer, shifter, seat, rear brake and sissy bar are coming off. Frame will be cleaned up the best I can and its going back together with scratches and rust. It wont be worthy of a contest build so its going in this forum

View attachment 51569 View attachment 51570 View attachment 51571

Im going to basically rebuild this Spyder with parts I have and a budget of $50. I see the need for a chain, a rear tube, and a brake cable. The existing bars, stem, fork, front wheel, crankset, pedals, chain guard, rear fender, rear tire, derailer, shifter, seat, rear brake and sissy bar are coming off. Frame will be cleaned up the best I can and its going back together with scratches and rust. It wont be worthy of a contest build so its going in this forum

I had one just like yours with 24 inch tires. Very cool muscle bikes and one of my favorite restorations. Spent considerably more than $ 50 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one just like yours with 24 inch tires. Very cool muscle bikes and one of my favorite restorations. Spent considerably more than $ 50 on it.

This is a 24 too. Going to use a spaceliner 26 rat trap fork and a 20 inch wheel

Also Im keeping it on the cheap because we picked a date for our wedding and it aint gonna be cheap

Also Im keeping it on the cheap because we picked a date for our wedding and it aint gonna be cheap

LOL!!

Know the feeling. Had to pay a lot for my daughters wedding a couple of years ago!

I have a fatter rear tire for it and bought a tube today. Hopefully that back wheel will clean up some. Im going with a different chainguard and no rear fender

IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
So my first day of experimentation was a success. The Spaceliner fork and 20 inch wheel make it the same height as what was on there. Going with the 24 by 2.125 electra tire on the back. It wont fit in the fender so the fender is coming off. Seat and sissy bar are from a girls riviera and look like a better match than the stock ones did. So now that it all works, its time to take it apart and just clean stuff and reassemble the bike. I gave away a box of derailers to a kid in the area two months ago and now I need one. Will have to trade a buddy near by

Second pic is my project lineup. One at a time. I promised the fiance i would finish these before any more come home. Yeah like that will happen

I did some thorough cleaning in the garage today. I found some nice bars, a quill stem adapter and a threadless stem that all work together. Still keeping a $50 limit on this bike. So far I only bought a tube. I will need a chain and derailer for sure unless i go single speed. Have to see how it goes

IMG_1228.JPG

Had some ideas pop in my head last night and they worked. Chainguard is off a different type of spyder. I have purple grips and nicer pedals too. So this is as far as I got this week on it. If I go single speed I have a freewheel and a chain. Also have a nicer brake. And after cleaning it up a little my only cost would be a tube. Thinking i might go that way and have my 24 x 20 rat rebuilt for under $10. Id be good with that

Its stuck in a really hard gear but i just rode it around the block. I really like the proportions of the 24 inch bikes that allow for apehangers and banana seats. Ive tried both on 26 inch bikes and they just didnt look right to me. The 24 looks like a muscle bike still and it fits me well for riding

I came in to a derailer and some different bars for it on my vacation. Just need to get it apart and cleaned and will put the little shifter back on.

Latest posts

Back