Sears Spyder 24"

Oct 15, 2008
Crystal Beach, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken some long spins after adding the lay back seat post. Pedaling is much more comfortable now, but it makes the grip shifter look a little obscene.
-I also added an ell bracket to the rat trap fork that does a good job of limiting the front wheel travel.
-I have ordered a stick shifter from fleabay but it hasn't arrived. Maybe this weekend.
flightliner layback.jpg

Oct 15, 2008
Crystal Beach, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped the front wheel for a 20". The bike is a 24/20 now. It still looked a like a cruiser when the 24" wheel was on the front.
I had a shipping problem with my stick shifter so I haven't received it. I started fooling with converting the grip shift to a stick shifter again.
24 20 bridge.jpg 24 20 gator.jpg

Reactions: RustyGold
Oct 15, 2008
Crystal Beach, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simplex shifter1.jpg simplex shifter2.jpg
I finally got the stick shifter installed. Since I have two top tubes, it was pretty simple to make a shifter mount from ell brackets.
I don't know how old this shifter is, but it works surprisingly well. The weather is perfect for a ride, but my allergies are keeping me indoors.

Oct 15, 2008
Crystal Beach, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated pics. The Simplex shifter works far better than a grip shifter modified to a stick shifter. I do enjoy the creative aspect of modifying a grip shifter, though.
spy jun 2.jpg spy jun 4.jpg

Reactions: Old Scool
Oct 15, 2008
Crystal Beach, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come up with a temporary solution to the weak fork spring problem. I had tried adding helper springs and such, but they have a tendancy to fall off without drilling new holes in the hardened steel.
-I replaced the short bolt that connects the struts to the spring bracket with a long hollow bolt. The hollow, or sleeve bolt is long enough and strong enough to prevent the spring assembly from pivoting as far.
-Now I can veer off the paved path without worrying about the fork jamming in the fully compressed position.
-I am still working on a helper spring solution that will allow more fork travel without bottoming out.

springer bolt close.jpg
springer bolt close.jpg
springer bolt wide.jpg

Reactions: RustyGold
Oct 15, 2008
Crystal Beach, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sp1.jpg 20190912_191436_resized.jpg 20190912_191422_resized.jpg
I took my Spyder clone out after work with a fresh set of tires installed. Unfortunately, my hang-on derailleur unhung itself and wound up jammed in my spokes.
-The retaining screw and plate had come loose and the derailleur began to spin like hands on a clock around the axle.
-I have one bent spoke but none are broken. The spoke protector looks like a dog chewed on it. The derailleur is quite mangled. It was just a cheap mountain bike piece. The rear dropout was fairly bent too.
-I was able to remove the derailleur and pedal most of the way home. The chain was just too bent to allow me to pedal the entire way home.

Last edited: