Sears Spyder 24"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've taken some long spins after adding the lay back seat post. Pedaling is much more comfortable now, but it makes the grip shifter look a little obscene.
-I also added an ell bracket to the rat trap fork that does a good job of limiting the front wheel travel.
-I have ordered a stick shifter from fleabay but it hasn't arrived. Maybe this weekend.
flightliner layback.jpg

I swapped the front wheel for a 20". The bike is a 24/20 now. It still looked a like a cruiser when the 24" wheel was on the front.
I had a shipping problem with my stick shifter so I haven't received it. I started fooling with converting the grip shift to a stick shifter again.
24 20 bridge.jpg 24 20 gator.jpg

simplex shifter1.jpg simplex shifter2.jpg
I finally got the stick shifter installed. Since I have two top tubes, it was pretty simple to make a shifter mount from ell brackets.
I don't know how old this shifter is, but it works surprisingly well. The weather is perfect for a ride, but my allergies are keeping me indoors.

Some updated pics. The Simplex shifter works far better than a grip shifter modified to a stick shifter. I do enjoy the creative aspect of modifying a grip shifter, though.
spy jun 2.jpg spy jun 4.jpg

I have come up with a temporary solution to the weak fork spring problem. I had tried adding helper springs and such, but they have a tendancy to fall off without drilling new holes in the hardened steel.
-I replaced the short bolt that connects the struts to the spring bracket with a long hollow bolt. The hollow, or sleeve bolt is long enough and strong enough to prevent the spring assembly from pivoting as far.
-Now I can veer off the paved path without worrying about the fork jamming in the fully compressed position.
-I am still working on a helper spring solution that will allow more fork travel without bottoming out.

springer bolt close.jpg
springer bolt close.jpg
springer bolt wide.jpg

sp1.jpg 20190912_191436_resized.jpg 20190912_191422_resized.jpg
I took my Spyder clone out after work with a fresh set of tires installed. Unfortunately, my hang-on derailleur unhung itself and wound up jammed in my spokes.
-The retaining screw and plate had come loose and the derailleur began to spin like hands on a clock around the axle.
-I have one bent spoke but none are broken. The spoke protector looks like a dog chewed on it. The derailleur is quite mangled. It was just a cheap mountain bike piece. The rear dropout was fairly bent too.
-I was able to remove the derailleur and pedal most of the way home. The chain was just too bent to allow me to pedal the entire way home.

Last edited:
I found a Spyder chain guard at a not-so-outrageous price and added it. I also added a pic of it with the old hockey stick on it.
-Mounting the full circle chainguards requires a good bit of tinkering when you do not have original brackets. I also had tp space it over to make room for my old triple chain ring. I can't wait to ditch the triple chain ring when I find a suitable single.
-The Spyder chain guard is pretty banged up. That's OK since I am mounting it on a Flightliner.

20201225_103343_resized.jpg
spy jun 1.jpg

I bought a 24" Spyder rear fender. Its not installed. Just laying on the tire in the pic.
-The fender was designed for a 24x1.75 tire. Mounting it on my 2.125" wide tire is quite a squeeze. (the front tire in the pic is 20x1.75)
-I really like the way the fender makes the rear tire look even fatter, but I may have to buy the 24x1.75 tire to make it work.
20210112_172645_resized.jpg

I was able to come up with a sort of "lift kit" for the fender, so that I could continue to use the 24x2+ read tire.
-On the front of the fender, I used a bracket I had laying around to make an extender.
-I bolted the struts to the second hole in the sissy bar, rather than the usual mounting holes. I have enough clearance now for tire changes and other maintenance.
fender ext dim 2.jpg
fender strut 2.jpg

I have been doing some muscle bike maintenance on it.
-The Sissy bar cracked (err, severed), so I installed a new one that clamps on, rather than bolts on. Spirited pedaling produces side forces that can quickly wear out the sissy bar.
I replaced the seat post too, as I was never really happy with the other. Maybe it will help control the lateral movement.
-I also replaced the crankset with a single chain wheel set. I had bent a crank arm on the other crankset during cornering. Its not good to pedal through the corners on a bike with 24" wheels.
20210506_170611.JPG
IMG_0540.jpg

Latest posts

Back