Sealed Euro bottom bracket lube. In the frame.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is the first euro BB that has whipped me. Replaced several of them in really scroungy mountain bikes.
This one rotated a little tight, no notchiness, but I wanted to swap it.

Non drive side came off. Drive side I had the BB socket clamped in the vice with a bolt and washer on it to hold it in place with about 1/8 of play to allow it to loosen. Using the frame as leverage, the bottom bracket stayed in place and I rounded off 2 sides of the large BB socket.
Decided to get some heat in it, 3 gallons of boiling water over the bottom bracket, since aluminum expands significantly faster than steel, should pop it loose. Rounded the remaining sides of my BB socket off in the vice.

The heat actually loosened the rotation of the BB quite a bit, still no notchiness so I think the bearings are still alive.

So what to do.....

Used a dentist pick on the non drive side to pull the seal, no sign of rust, clean clear grease. Packed some new grease in there and reinstalled the seal.

Drive side seal was blocked by the BB retaining ring, ran to walgreens and asked for 1 syringe, asked for a 19ga, all they would give me was a 23ga. The lady looked at me funny but, they arent supposed to ask.
lol
no charge.
Slipped the needle thru the seal edge into the bearings and sent 2cc of 50 wt gear lube into the bearings. 23ga is a small needle, took a lot of pushing.
Bearings smooth as butter, we'll see how long it lasts.
20200519_065318.jpg

Other than a torch to really get some heat in there and destroy the paint, Im at a loss on how to take this out.
BB socket in the vice and the frame as leverage, the socket failed at the large hex before the BB broke loose. It was a chinese socket, maybe a park tool socket and another person. Gonna ride it and see what happens.

Last edited:
Is this caused by galvanic corrosion between aluminum frame and steel bottom bracket? I see some BB come with plastic cups, maybe these would be better to use with aluminum frames? Everyone probably greases the threads or uses anti sieze, maybe the factory "forgot"?

Agree, during the vice/ BB socket work, I poured ATF/Acetone into the BB from the non drive side and let it soak overnight.

The BB is smooth on the stand. We'll ride it for this summer. Maybe the flex, of riding will help pop the bond on the cup.

Latest posts

Back