Scruples

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I'll start a build thread:
E43A9288-C691-4C0C-9A19-92BEF791333F.jpeg

Mid-40's Huffman frame
Shockmaster fork
60's crank and chainwheel (for now... Huffy or similar)
Saddle I found on a space liner frame

These modern aluminum wheels may have to go. Front axle is too big for the dropouts. There are a few older wheel sets laying around (Bendix hubs) but they may require rebuilding which will be a learning experience. I've considered filing the dropouts to make the new one fit.
image.jpg

Also, have a couple sets of blackwalls that just need cleaned up.

Please don't alter the frame . You can flatten two sides of the wheel axles with a demel tool or file instead . I rely like the looks of this build .
Thanks!
I may try filing the axle. The rear seems to fitjust fine. This is the second snag I've run into with the shockmaster fork.

Thanks for the info. I'm almost as nervous about filing the axles, but would rather do damage there than on the fork.
The plan for now is to try working with the old steel wheelsets i have. Some of these might be in reasonable shape after all... and hopefully I can avoid filing all together.

I like the way those forks look, but I don't like the way they ride. I made mine rigid with a pipe inside the spring to keep it from compressing.

Those knobbies with the center ridge roll well on pavement.

I made a little progress.
CAFE8151-E123-4515-A968-377F52D1A2C3.jpeg
066BE7D5-2065-4605-8EDA-9640D7725A8A.jpeg

I should have disassembled this first. i am a slacker tday.
You see the dark area on the top part? i couldn't seem to get though this. I kind of like the look of some bare metal with patches of layered color showing.
I gave up for the day, rubbed it down with penetrant, and stuck it in a plasticbag.

I file drops all the time. It's all just old steel, and giving it new life and using is better than "preserving it" and never using it for which it was made. To be ridden.

Just my opinion.

Imbetter than "preserving it" and never using it for which it was made. To be ridden.

Just my opinion.
.... better than "preserving it" and never using it for which it was made. To be ridden.
I like your position on this. I'll explore this down the line on another project perhaps. Currently, finding myself in the teething stages.

Thanks for the feedback!
I feel like maybe bracing/sandwiching vertically between 2"x4"s while vicing or tapping with a mallet.

Inspect the seat stays and chain stays for bends which can cause the dropouts to spread. That would need to be repaired simultaneous to closing the dropouts.The dents behind the BB from cranking the kickstand down too tight won't hurt a thing but might make aligning your kickstand a bit fiddly.

Noted! Thanks!
I'm considering a different kickstand style. Also figure I'll need a repair stand moving foreward.
...and of course watching the Colt 45 build, taking notes

Latest posts

Back