Schwinn Typhoon Resto/Mod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked up a nice '62 Typhoon for a quicky build. After replacing some aged bearings it will get a resto/mod and get ridden. It has the schwinn 26" s-7 rims, anything available except the narrow s-7 tire? Looking more for 2" plus if I can find them. Guess I may have to swap to regular rims to use tires I want. Bought a pair of schwinn approved 26 white walls, but that is when I found out about the s-7 rims.

Otherwise it will be a retro bmx/hot rod cruiser build. Got the bmx fork, still need to see if it will work. Tear apart the crank parts, clean everything up and paint and rebuild. Probably go matt black with painted red wheels, chrome spokes, and add replacement schwinn typhoon decals to finish. Wald stingray style handle bar, maybe some of that half link chain. Should be simple to get done.

The hurdle now is the s-7 wheels. Really want a white wall tire to go with the hot rod look.

Pics later.

See ya,
Rod

Last edited:
I feel your pain! Most sucky thing about the lightweight and midweight Schwinns is the almost total lack of tire choices!

Looks like I may be swapping rims on this project. Nothing on ebay but skinny tires. Might be cheaper to just swap the rim hoops. I take it S-5 is the one I want? Already have a set of white walls and want to re-lace so going with new rim hoops might be the easiest option.

Looks like I may be swapping rims on this project. Nothing on ebay but skinny tires. Might be cheaper to just swap the rim hoops. I take it S-5 is the one I want? Already have a set of white walls and want to re-lace so going with new rim hoops might be the easiest option.

i might have a set of w/walls for you let me check and i'll get bac too you...

~Rafael~

Look on Amazon they make a tire that is 26x2x1 3/4 they're much fatter than the standard s7 tire and come in white walls duro and sunlite make them I just got rid of a set to the guy down the road

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2cf559fcbc2ed7bb36f04b92d6596a60.jpg

Check out niagaracycle.com, they carry beefy S7 compatible 2in wide whitewalls....CST I believe.

Look on Amazon they make a tire that is 26x2x1 3/4 they're much fatter than the standard s7 tire and come in white walls duro and sunlite make them I just got rid of a set to the guy down the road

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2cf559fcbc2ed7bb36f04b92d6596a60.jpg
I keep looking do you have a link?
Need 597mm most I find are 590mm or 559mm :p

I'm headed to a bike shop today so maybe they will have some. I will check the 1 3/4 wide S-7 tires out. Gotta get a new fork bearing set. Don't know if I will keep it stock looking or upgrade to more bmx look. Depends on what they have and cost.

See ya,
Rod

Hold up-- your Typhoon likely came with s7 rims; these take 26"x1 3/4" tires, and the BSD is 571mm. seems like, at some point, you started looking for s5 or s6 tires, which are 26"x1 3/8", and the BSD is 597mm. Make sure you're shopping for the proper rubber!

Or, do the sensible thing, and make the move to s2 aka 559 wheels and tires...:grin:

Local bike shop has some tires that will fit and work. Will get them and tubes and strips when ready. Did pick up a new head set. Old one was pretty crusty. I think the bottom bracket will clean up but if not I have one for another project or buy new.

Got the old pedals taken off while I was there, who ever put them on, didn't know their own strength. They were tight! Tossed 'em as they were a mis-match anyway and I got new pedals last trip.

So I will start tearing the wheels down, get rims painted, and hubs gone through. Then its new spokes and build wheels.

Get frame, fork cleaned up and painted. And then start assembly.

Will get pics over the weekend.

tacklebox, What is that checker board decal on the seat tube. Something you did or a schwinn decal? I kinda like it and might use it on my build.

Progress made!!

Spent some dollars and had small parts blasted, and got a can of stripper. made it easier to strip frame paint and rust. frame is matte black, rims are matte red, got fork threads cleaned up, they were a little messed up so i hope they will hold. Ordered the new typhoon decals and NOS white badge. Now just wait for paint to completely cure and start assembly. Can't decide if I want to restore the bike tag also. Pretty neat to find a bike with a local tag.

I'm really starting to like how this one is turning out! New decals and a new stripes on the wheels will make it all work. Hubs are done and ready to build the wheels. Will get those built after holidays.

Picked up some cool Miller tail lights off the forum and one will find it's way on the typhoon. Headlight to be determined.

Not much left to buy, chain, tires/tubes/rim strips, will have solid steel seat post made up. Gotta get it up on it's wheels first.

See ya,
Rod

typhoon%20frame%20painted-M.jpg

typhoon%20kingman%20tag-S.jpg

typhoon%20s-7%20rins%20painted-M.jpg

typhoon%20build%20parts-M.jpg

Local bike shop has some tires that will fit and work. Will get them and tubes and strips when ready. Did pick up a new head set. Old one was pretty crusty. I think the bottom bracket will clean up but if not I have one for another project or buy new.

Got the old pedals taken off while I was there, who ever put them on, didn't know their own strength. They were tight! Tossed 'em as they were a mis-match anyway and I got new pedals last trip.

So I will start tearing the wheels down, get rims painted, and hubs gone through. Then its new spokes and build wheels.

Get frame, fork cleaned up and painted. And then start assembly.

Will get pics over the weekend.

tacklebox, What is that checker board decal on the seat tube. Something you did or a schwinn decal? I kinda like it and might use it on my build.
The checker board came stock I've seen them for sale on ebay though I'm really glad it survived on mine I'm pretty fond of it it came on the tiger model

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here it is. Minus final detailing. Waiting until this weekend to get estimate on having lettering and striping painted on. But it's pretty much done. Turned out great and gonna be fun rider. I have some bar stock for a new bent seat post and need some small parts. Gonna find a seat tool bag for a battery and use it to power the lights. Have a couple miller gens but not sure if one will power two lights bright enough. Also need to fab a bracket to mount that kingman tag on left side of the rear frame.
62%20schwinn%20typhoon-M.jpg

62%20schwinn%20typhoon2-M.jpg

62%20schwinn%20typhoon3-M.jpg

I am adding a cut rear fender. It was on the bike when I got it. It will get pin stripping details done with rest of bike. I'm gonna try a gen to power the lights. Then I get to start having fun with it. Gonna be a sweet rider!

Heres a pic of the Typhoon with couple other of my projects at the Starbird-Devlin charities car show in Wichita this past weekend.
Line up at show.jpg

Latest posts

Back