Schwinn Town and Country Tandem help..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased this bike last week from friend's mom. I didn't have time to do much research before buying it, but figured I'd take a shot on it.
The serial number is stamped into the bottom bracket. It is t004590. I'm assuming by the fact that it is on the bottom bracket, that it is 1948-1952, but I am unable to locate the number in any databases I've looked at so far.
I'm just trying to get an idea of the year and value of the bike. It appears to be all original except for the seats ( which hopefully I will be receiving once they are located) It's in pretty good shape overall. Anyone have any ideas?

imagejpeg952.jpg

imagejpeg952_2.jpg

imagejpeg952_3.jpg

imagejpeg952_4.jpg

imagejpeg952_5.jpg

imagejpeg952_6.jpg

imagejpeg952_7.jpg
The town and country was not a Chicago made Schwinn. That is why the serial number does not match the date codes. Schwinn hand built their high end bikes in a separate factory in Peoria Illinois, I believe. The Paramount, the Superior, the New World, and the Town and Country were made there. The Town and Country was their most expensive model, and we're built to order. I believe they made frames in 1949, and in 1955. They were then built and sold in subsequent years, so the frame year may not be the model year.
This is a very rare and desirable bike. They can fetch over a $1000. Nice find. I have a red one, I will post some pictures in the future.

mine has Town & country on the left chain guard, mine is also Red, has pointed front fender, SN: T002565 will post pictures when rebuild is complete

I have the exact same bike and mine is stamped T004369. Need to know what size tires fit both the rim and under the fenders. This was my grandparents, then my mother's, and now my bicycle which I will leave to my son. I'd really love to get it back on the road. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
The town and country was not a Chicago made Schwinn. That is why the serial number does not match the date codes. Schwinn hand built their high end bikes in a separate factory in Peoria Illinois, I believe. The Paramount, the Superior, the New World, and the Town and Country were made there. The Town and Country was their most expensive model, and we're built to order. I believe they made frames in 1949, and in 1955. They were then built and sold in subsequent years, so the frame year may not be the model year.
This is a very rare and desirable bike. They can fetch over a $1000. Nice find. I have a red one, I will post some pictures in the f

Latest posts

Back