Schwinn Speedster what year?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190622_140510.jpg
I just picked up this Speedster, but can't find a serial number on the head tube or the left rear drop out. Is there any other place it could be? It's blue, has a camelback frame ans 26" S5 wheel. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

That's odd there's no number on the left dropout or lower head tube. The chain wheel was 1969 and later. Does the head badge have 4 small numbers?
upload_2019-6-22_18-33-23.jpeg

It only has one reflector on the whole bike. One small round one on the rear fender. No reflectors on the pedals front
20190623_054813.jpg
nor any on the wheels.

Warranty frame replacement? Think it would still have a serial #. Stem, bars and crank should all have dates on them. Would bet it's a '69, '70 or '71. Reflector pedals started in '72 and those look original.

Sweet find!

View attachment 98245 I just picked up this Speedster, but can't find a serial number on the head tube or the left rear drop out. Is there any other place it could be? It's blue, has a camelback frame ans 26" S5 wheel. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
You just need to find a camel saddle and you will have a aw-some
bike !

The Speedster history page: Looks like your bike is all original except for tires. I also looked through the Findley page catalogs, it looks like Schwinn didn't offer a Speedster in 71, and went to a diamond frame in 72, so yours must be a 69 or 70 model. Maybe the cranks have a date on them.
https://bikehistory.org/bikes/speedster/

TI also looked through the Findley page catalogs, it looks like Schwinn didn't offer a Speedster in 71, and went to a diamond frame in 72, so yours must be a 69 or 70 model. Maybe the cranks have a date on them.
https://bikehistory.org/bikes/speedster/

Love those online catalogs. Looks like the Speedster came out in 1965 as a smaller (17 camelback) version of the Racer. In '71 the Racer came in the 17 inch camelback size and there was no Speedster. In 72 the Speedster came in all of the Racer sizes (19-23) and the previous Speedster-only 17 inch camelback frame.

The '72 would have been available as a camelback but with different pedals and chrome fenders so yeah gotta be '69 or '70. Dig the gumwalls with the sky blue.

Thanks for all the replies! The guy I bought it from looked at the rear hub and identified it as a 70. When I got it home I adjusted the height of the stem and saw it was a dated 70. So far I believe it to be an original survivor from 1970. (Except for the tires of course, which I can live with as I intend to ride and enjoy it!)

Thanks for the suggestion Rusty Gold! I took the rear wheel off and check the inside of the right drop out. No markings there either. I'm still stumped on why I can not find a serial number, but still want to date check everything on it I can. What would a 70 Sturmey Archer hub have as a date code?

That's what I usually check first. It completely slipped my mind this time. It has a 2 digit year and a 1 or 2 digit month, like this one, Sept of 1952:

upload_2019-6-26_17-5-30.jpeg

I'm still wondering why there's no number. On the left rear dropout, it looks like original paint and no number. Might be a 4 showing or just a scratch in the paint. With the head tube, no hint of a number. Maybe they had some Schwinn touch up paint some years ago and went heavy over the number. Or Schwinn stamped the number very lightly. Except Schwinn normally was very consistent with their stamping of numbers. It also may have been right when they switched from dropout to head tube serial numbers and it got lost in the shuffle.

Last edited:
The numbers on the rear hub are 70 5. May 1970. Was it 1970 that they switched from the number on the drop out to the head tube?

From one of the websites I use for serial numbers: "The serial number was moved from the left rear dropout to the headtube between 1970 and 1971."
http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

Here's a different quote where a Schwinn had numbers on both locations in May of 1970: "Schwinn made another serial number location change in 1970 but it was not at the beginning of the model year. I relocated this eBay listing with a 1970 Tandem that is wearing two serial numbers, one on the left rear dropout and the other in the new location on the headtube. Both numbers are EF, May 1970. What's funny is the dropout number is a larger number but it doesn't have the 0 preceeding the numbers.

Dropout number..... EF32709
Headtube number.. EF015984 "

From one of the websites I use for serial numbers: "The serial number was moved from the left rear dropout to the headtube between 1970 and 1971."
http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

Here's a different quote where a Schwinn had numbers on both locations in May of 1970: "Schwinn made another serial number location change in 1970 but it was not at the beginning of the model year. I relocated this eBay listing with a 1970 Tandem that is wearing two serial numbers, one on the left rear dropout and the other in the new location on the headtube. Both numbers are EF, May 1970. What's funny is the dropout number is a larger number but it doesn't have the 0 preceeding the numbers.

Dropout number..... EF32709
Headtube number.. EF015984 "
Maybe he has MY serial number on his bike!

I wasn't ready to give up on it, so I zoomed in. I think that is a "4" stamped lightly on the dropout. I'll bet the number was stamped very lightly with paint covering it up. Your paint looks good, so it might not be worth scraping it off to see a possible number.

Latest posts

Back