Schwinn s6 wheel question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been talked about a lot. I get all the strange rim size stuff so my issue is simple. I have a Kool Lemon 1973 Schwinn Speedster with the sturmey archer 3 speed. It has s6 wheels with 26x1 3/8 skinny tires. I want brown with cream wall ballon tires. I know they won’t fit my wheels , I want to keep the 3 speed. Is there a rim that will work with 26 x 2.125 tires and allow me to keep the sturmey archer 3 speed? Maybe Schwinn s2 wheels? Or should I buy a different bike for the plan I have in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m sure this has been talked about a lot. I get all the strange rim size stuff so my issue is simple. I have a Kool Lemon 1973 Schwinn Speedster with the strummer archer 3 speed. It has s6 wheels with 26x1 3/8 skinny tires. I want brown with cream wall ballon tires. I know they won’t fit my wheels , I want to keep the 3 speed. Is there a rim that will work with 26 x 2.125 tires and allow me to keep the sturmey archer 3 speed? Maybe Schwinn s2 wheels? Or should I buy a different bike for the plan I have in mind?

S2 are a little wider rim than S7 but the same dumb diameter so I doubt you can find the tires for it you want. If it were me what I would try is to find two old mountain bikes with 2 good true 26 inch alloy wheels with common 3 cross lacing and pretty rust free spokes and nipples and that have front hubs similar in size to the front hub on the Schwinn. I would oil the spoke nipples and dismantle all four wheels. I would use the Schwinn hubs, the 26 inch alloy rims and the 26 inch spokes to lace new wheels, 3 cross in the front and 4 cross in the back. This approach might work if the Schwinn has a small flange front hub and a larger flange Strumy Archer rear hub. There are a ton of old lower quality mountain bikes with better rims than are on modern inexpensive bikes. Be patient and you will probably find these free. The rear sprocket has to come off to build the wheels. The net has good instructions on how to lace rims. If you don’t have stuff to true the rims check bike shops for prices. Fenders will look strange with the different wheel radius. This might not work so you can scrap it or put on a modern set of wheels. I have done this sort of thing many times and it usually works. Your bike is a light weight so there is a good chance that wider tires won’t fit. The smaller diameter replacement wheel will help but you might have to fabricate a frame dimpling tool. Try a 26 x 2.125 tire/wheel in there before you do anything.

Last edited:
Wait...the Schwinn S-2 rim is actually ISO 559, same as most budget mountain bikes. The S-7 is ISO 571. The S-5 & S-6 are the funkiest at 597. So....if you're looking to run 26 x 2.125 tires, those S-2 rims will accommodate them. The rim brakes, though, are another matter. The S-2s are roughly an inch and a half smaller in overall diameter than what you have now.

I like the idea of substituting alloy rims, provided you have the skills to lace them.

Last edited:
Good points and good info, I didn’t think about the brakes. I’ve got a couple old mountain bikes I’ll see if they’ll fit and then look for some wheels that aren’t black. I may just end up getting a cheap beach cruiser and leave the speedster like it is. Schwinn really messed things up with these wheels lol.

I've put those standard 26 wheels on a couple of lightweight Schwinns made for 27" wheels. The rear had to be coaster, hand brakes didn't reach as noted above. 3 speed with coaster on a 65 Continental and an old S-7 yellow band 2 speed kickback on a 73 Varsity. If I had anything wider than 2.125 they wouldn't squeeze in, some makes of tires at 2.125 were too wide, so I went with 2.0 tires. It also lowered the cranks about an inch, I scraped the pedals a couple times leaning into corners. I didn't relace the wheels, they came off cruisers like that.
168752_10150097307226737_2002242_n.jpg

250qmqd.jpg

"It also lowered the cranks about an inch, I scraped the pedals a couple times leaning into corners."

Cousin Wildcat:
I like the look of those 27" frames with 26" wheels. The pedal scraping is pretty easy to solve: get in the habit of putting down the outside pedal on tight turns. Have fun!

cornering.jpg

Latest posts

Back