Schwinn S-7 question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody know from what year to what year Schwinn used the S-7 wheels? Or a time line of wheels they used? :?:
S-2's were used 19-- to 19--
S-7 wheels were used 19-- to 19--

S-2s were intoduced around 1948, and ran through the last Wasps in late 64 or 5. They revived them in the late 70s for the Cruiser and Spitfire lines. S-7s came out in 1954 with the new middleweight line, and were used until the last Typhoon/Hollywoods in 1982. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
S-2s were intoduced around 1948, and ran through the last Wasps in late 64 or 5. They revived them in the late 70s for the Cruiser and Spitfire lines. S-7s came out in 1954 with the new middleweight line, and were used until the last Typhoon/Hollywoods in 1982. -Adam
Thanks Adam!

S-2 are Schwinn's balloon tire rim. They have a bead diameter of 559mm, same as most other 26" balloon and middleweight wheels. S-7 are Schwinn's middleweight size. Their bead diameter is 571mm and the only tires that will fit are those made for the S-7 rims, 26x1 3/4.

jwm said:
Actually, Kenda makes a great balloon tire for the S7 rim. 26x2x1/34, or some such thing. I put a pair on my Jaguar, but later changed them out for a regular 26x 1 3/4. I may put them on the Heavy Duti when I wear out the tires that are on the bike.

JWM

I could have sworn I have seen them before but I can't find 'em anywhere. You know where to get them?

My 2 speed hub is an S-7 wheel. The biggest tire I can find is 26 x 2 x 1 3/4, I would like a bigger tire. A regular 26 x 2.125 looks much bigger.

Latest posts

Back