Schwinn Pre War Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I am in. This will be the motivation I need to find the parts and put together this project. Nothing too exciting. My main goal will be to use only parts that were available in the late 70's and complete this bike as a true Marin style hybrid Klunker. No fancy paint, although I may sand down the little rust and rattle can the bare spots. Not a beauty queen but just a project that plays the part of a 70's vintage mountain tamer like it was done back in the day:

A while back I found what I thought was the perfect fork for this project. A Tange TX1200. Unfortunately the steer tube was just a touch too short. Back to the drawing board. Contemplated extending the steer tube, shaving the head tube on the frame, or just finding a different fork. Frustrated, I put the project on the back burner. More than likely I will start my search for a different fork. This one was just so minty fresh though:

Thanks,

Ben thinking about it for a few weeks. Finished that last post and decided I needed to jump in. :? :?

I had a great time last time and look forward to some fun banter again! :D

Plus, I really dig this project and need a motivator to get it done.

After I set up a few searches for the right fork, My next step will be to tear down those hubs and give them a nice Oxalic acid bath:

Being the bike part hoarder I am, I have a few sets of original Araya 7X and UKAI rims to lace them to. Need to decide If the rims will be blue or silver:

I guess it's time to crawl up into the attic for a closer look:

Addicting but, I love this hobby.

Sweet parts to choose from.
Love the drums!

I am slow. Took One drum brake apart yesterday and dropped it in the oxalic acid bath. Why only one you ask? Because I am a rookie and need the other one left together so I know how to put number 1 back together. Could have taken pics instead but the battery was dead.

Progress! :D :D :D

Are those all front wheel drum hubs or is there a rear wheel hub in that pile somewhere?

Cool project. Keep in mind however that when the proto-mountain biker folk in Marin county were riding a 1940s bike in the 1970s the parts were 30 years old. Now they are more like 70 years old. The good news is that Schwinn really believed in quality and had good welds. This was a company that made their own buts and bolts, remember. They wanted to deliver the best product on the market and in many ways they did at the time.

How far do you plan to take this marin county tribute thing? Solid seat post? Coaster brake or deralleur? Motorcycle brake levers?

Gave the spare to a friend. Now just a front and a rear. Point well made, no doubt the early N. Ca. Klunkers were a mish mash of what could be found without much effort. I personally don't have the heart to ride on steel rims thus the reason for keeping to the pre 80 theme and not going older. Most of the parts I have saved up for this are seconds from a couple of different projects. (79 Champion/81 Ritchey) with a few other pieces still to find. Off the top of my head in no particular order: Ashtabula stem, VDC bars, Magura levers, Mighty thumbies, Ukai rims, B72 saddle, TA cranks, Cyclone deraileurs etc.... basically just as they would have done using spare parts in the bin already, except I will keep a closer eye to date codes if I can to keep from cheating. When done I want it to look like something found in the attic that was cobbled together back in the late 70's and forgot about as opposed to something just put together. Looking at the drum brake that came out of the oxalic acid bath last night (it went back in for a longer soak) I just contemplated whether I should hit it with some flat black where the chrome once was or put some car wax on the bare metal and call it good. Solid post, Magura levers, Drum brakes front and rear.

The last klunker project I had I cut corners with newer parts and glossed it up with chrome and fresh paint. This one will be a lot different. From last Saturdays ride with my wife (too small for me, she took possession of this bike);

Sounds like a cool plan.

I know you'll do it the right way.

The photos of the original klunkers show some pretty worn paint jobs and crusty parts, to say the least! :D

What badge will it wear?

I picked up an Excelsior badge a couple of years ago at the Shoreline swap meet.

Thanks for the encouragement.

JW,
Rest assured I de laced a certain set of blue Ukai's off an old Ross Mtn. bike the other day. I thought long and hard about de anodizing them before sticking with the faded blue. But in the end, I think it's going to leave just the look I am seeking. Tough for me because usually I only like things in anno black or silver. The hubs have been cleaned, touched up, and are being married to the blue rims.

The fork has now been dropped off for a little steer tube elongation.

I will start my google search soon for some 13/16 aluminum rod.

A little picture shy, so far. Someone quite capable is taking care of the fork for me.

Laying low,
Knee deep in a bathroom remodel that is taking all my free time. Family priorities. Happy wife= happy biker.
On the progress side, Fork is now extended, wheels being built. 8)

Still in if not forgotten.

Latest posts

Back