Schwinn Le Tour "The Portlander" (Lightweight sub-build off)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Schwinn Le Tour "The Portlander"

OctopusHook said:
Ok, after a little looking around I found the Little Big Ben tires from Schwalbe that will be right around 1.5" wide. So that's what I'll go with.
tben-10132-3.jpg

Those are cool! filed away for future reference

Just ordered the tires last night from Schwalbe. Ive been looking for some 70s vintage Dura-Ace cranks like this...
crankoverall.jpg

I came home today to find a box on my doorstep that looked suspiciously like it might contain a set of tires. It did! I sure wasn't expecting them so soon, just put the order in on Monday night! Fine buy me though. :D
I still need to get a set of tubes for them but I couldn't wait to mount them and show em off.
20130509_001332.jpg

Nice. What do you think about the tires' color? It's hard to judge in pictures as to what the actual shade of brown really is. I was thinking of ordering a set of Franks in that color for one of my bikes, but was unsure what they really looked like...

In the stock photo above the color is definitely more orange than in real life. The picture I took of mine is more accurate. It's a nice leathery brown. I'm pleased with it anyway. They are pretty close to a honey colored Brooks, slightly darker. I found this picture for reference... Hope that helps.
crusier-naked-hybrid-black.jpg

Those brown bens look awesome on the white rims!

Yeah, those wheels weren't my first choice but they are growing on me now and l think they will end up going well wit the build in the end. And im realy happy with the bwown color, along with a leather seat and grips agenst a light teal or sea foam its wealy going to pop. :D

OctopusHook said:
Yeah, those wheels weren't my first choice but they are growing on me now and l think they will end up going well wit the build in the end. And im realy happy with the bwown color, along with a leather seat and grips agenst a light teal or sea foam its wealy going to pop. :D

Yes, love that color combo, kinda like Celeste green with red accents

those crank arms are the bomb! tires and rims are way cool also! you should bring that thing down with your clunker! I have a 5, 10, 15, and 20 mile road loops that start at my house and am only 5 min by bike from Smith Rock nice place for a Photo shoot!!

Troy

jats said:
those crank arms are the bomb! tires and rims are way cool also! you should bring that thing down with your clunker! I have a 5, 10, 15, and 20 mile road loops that start at my house and am only 5 min by bike from Smith Rock nice place for a Photo shoot!!

Troy

Unfortunately a set of dura-ace cranks is going to be a little out of budget so I'm going with Shimano 600 of a similar vintage. basically looks the same.
Sounds like you have a pretty sweet place to call home! I gotta do a little work on the rear dropout of my klunker before I can do any real riding on it. The rear wheel has a tendency to pull out of the dropout when I'm really cranking on it. It also still needs paint or powder coating. Hears the link to my klunker ... http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37542

carrotsnax said:
I like where this is going. I want to see those tires squeezed in that frame. lol

Well I got the tubes in and tried out the fit. They do fit but, just barely. There is about and 8th of an inch on either side of the chain stays and that's with the wheel pulled all the way back. Might have to play around with ring and freewheel size a bit to allow me to get the chain tensioned properly when the wheel is back in that position.

20130511_175522.jpg

20130510_220535.jpg

I got the headset today (Tange DX) at my favorite local bike shop, also had them order me a set of Tektro R559 brakes. I also ordered the Shimano 600 Crank set and break levers on ebay. Next big ticket item is the saddle. I'd like to go with a brooks b17 just not sure I can shell out for one. I have also looked at the Velo Orange Model 3 Touring saddle witch look pretty good. Anyone riding on one?

20130512_233149.jpg

SDC15254-1.jpg

shimano600.jpg

wow you put a premium on stopping!! those are cool brakes!! love the crank arms to this bike gets better and better!!

Troy

jats said:
wow you put a premium on stopping!! those are cool brakes!! love the crank arms to this bike gets better and better!!

Troy

I definitely wanted to have responsive brakes but having to go with long reach, witch can be a little soft, I wanted to get a good quality set. This is what was recommended to me. I also wanted to support the bike shop that I go to buy buying from them rather than finding some used set of something else on ebay or what ever. Also, they just look slick. 8)

My crank set and brake levers came in the mail yesterday too. I think I should be able to get the bike in some kind of rideable state soon. Then after I test it out a bit I can tare it back down for paint.

cool have had a few set backs on my end but thats cool have them fixed! keep it up will bring my skinny up my next trip to dornbecker with my daughter maybe catch a ride!

Troy

I have been really busy between work and other summer activities but I have got some more parts, and will be putting in some more time on it soon. I don't have time to post pictures of the parts right now but I will tonight.

Latest posts

Back