Schwinn head set replacement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just got a 1950s girls mostly Chicago Schwinn bike that I want to fix and give to my Daughter for her birthday. It needs a new headset. I have purchased these from Ebay before but I am wondering if there is another alternative besides the original Schwinn? The bike has one non schwinn rim and the fenders appear to be old replacements. Everything is stuck so it has been soaking in PB blaster of two days with no relief of the rust yet. It has been repainted and needs a new coat of paint, The pedals, seat and grips are very nice. Any ideas wold be greatly appreciated.

A cheap 1" BMX ( not road, not mountain) headset will work. You'll need to use your existing top nut or enlarge the hole in the new one to accommodate the 50's stem diameter.

A cheap 1" BMX ( not road, not mountain) headset will work. You'll need to use your existing top nut or enlarge the hole in the new one to accommodate the 50's stem diameter.
Thanks but I need everything. What I got is rusted chrome, busted bearing retainers and grunched rounded top nut. I hope there is an alternative besides used parts.

Get yourself a "BMX"-sized 1" threaded, like Bendix said. If the Schwinn still has the original 22.2 (7/8") stem, then you might need to modify the topnut OR just run basically any ol' 1" topnut from a decent-quality road or mtb--- most will fit the 1"x24tpi, although Raleighs will have 1"x26tpi and French stuff won't work, either....

Get yourself a "BMX"-sized 1" threaded, like Bendix said. If the Schwinn still has the original 22.2 (7/8") stem, then you might need to modify the topnut OR just run basically any ol' 1" topnut from a decent-quality road or mtb--- most will fit the 1"x24tpi, although Raleighs will have 1"x26tpi and French stuff won't work, either....

Someone actually tried to care for this bike. It had fresh grease in the bottom bracket but the stem was stuck. After BP Blaster, heat, vice leverage and acetone and vegetable oil the stem came loose. The previous owner had tried to hammer down the stem bolt so that when I got it out it was "S" shaped. The pedals came right off as they were greased. Ill try the suggested fix but on my 1959 Schwinn Corvette I couldn't get the BMX headset to work so I got a used Schwinn one on Ebay. I need the cups as well and the BMX ones didn't fit on the Corvette. I think the bottom one may have fit the the top one was too big to fit in the Schwinn head tube, I think I remember this right. The used one fit.

FWIW, Tioga Beartrap headsets fit fine in Chicago Schwinn frames. If they don't press right in, there's something wrong with the frame's headtube or the mechanic's tools/procedures. Of course, you can get lightly used Schwinn-approved headset pretty easily, too.

Something goofy with that Corvette headset install- both cups (should) have the same o.d., the head tube (should) have the same i.d. top and bottom as well.....

Something goofy with that Corvette headset install- both cups (should) have the same o.d., the head tube (should) have the same i.d. top and bottom as well.....
I might be confused with one of my other bikes. It may have been my 1940 CWC, I had a hard time getting that head set sorted. I am going to do the BMX thing you suggested, won't cost much. I'll let you know how it goes. My 1950 Columbia is giving me headset issues as well, either loosey + or too tight to turn no matter what head sets I try. I ordered a beefy Ritchey one that hopefully will do the trick for the Columbia. Part of the problem is getting incomplete bikes or ones that have had many alterations and mismatched headset parts over the years.

Latest posts

Back