1. The forum software will be upgraded on Saturday (April 4). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

Schwinn Deliveri

Discussion in '26" BMX CRUISERS' started by ParkRNDL, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

When I picked up this Deliveri frame from @ind-chuckz I had other plans for it, but it just kind of headed this direction and I love it. Can't wait for some nice weather to get it out past the end of the block.
    20190130_075151a.jpg
    20190130_075042a.jpg
    20190130_075231a.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the name Deliveri so I borrowed the Tornado name off another straight-bar Schwinn. The "BX" part was borrowed from the Sting-Ray BX, a 1978-only bike that wasn't a BMX bike, but had BMX-inspired looks.

Bart52, RustyGold, clamdigger and 3 others like this.
  2. ind-chuckz

ind-chuckz

Looks good!!

3. Wildcat

Wildcat

The red band 2 speed is perfect on that bike.

ParkRNDL likes this.
  4. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Great bike and build! :thumbsup:

5. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

This is my first 2-speed and I'm STOKED. Shifts great but it squeals on braking. I'm tempted to rebuild it but I'm scared to death to mess it up.

6. clamdigger

clamdigger

It should not squeal. Is there much side play ? Tire rubbing on frame ? Gotta keep them properly lubed and adjusted because replacement parts get expensive .

7. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

Tire isn't rubbing, but there is just enough side play to make me wonder. I have looked up a bunch of resources on overhauling them, and the one that actually helped me understand the whole process from beginning to end is this one:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-3-bendix.pdf

I'm a lot more comfortable following these directions step by step than trying to follow along with a video. Also, it described and named every part in a way that I could find it in the diagram and understand what to do with it. Just gotta work up the courage to tear into it, I guess.

From what I have read, am I correct that it's a good idea to use heavy axle grease on the bearings, but a lighter grease (like white lithium grease) on the other internal parts?

8. clamdigger

clamdigger

That is a good instruction manual. You might find some other stuff on google search. I did not find anything complete on Tube . There was a how to on this forum. You will need this tool : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-2-S...h=item3b2962511c:g:s4gAAOSwyi1a40oY:rk:1:pf:0 Like Sutherland says, high temp ( wheel bearing ) grease . Sold in auto stores for use on wheel bearings for disc brakes. That is what I prefer. The lithium will just mix together in use with the wheel bearing grease. But in a previous discussion here about this hub, a member said that he used lithium.

9. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

So I finally did the hub rebuild and it was a success. But now I started putting some miles on it and I decided I need to make some changes, starting with the seat. That seat in the pics above is pretty cool looking but VERY uncomfortable. If it's a cruiser, it's gotta feel good to ride, so that seat has to go.

First attempt:
    20200320_115811.jpg
    Jeez, I want to like this seat. It's cushy and big and cool looking and comfortable and once I put it on a bike I hate it. Moving on...
    20200321_172730.jpg
    This one is fairly comfortable but kinda boring. It says SCHWINN on it, which is nice, but it looks like it's off a Target bike, probably because it is. Also the bars somehow aren't coming together for me anymore. Soooo...
    20200321_184906.jpg 20200321_184858.jpg
    These are Wald 803s, which I have on another cruiser and I really like. Getting closer...

10. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

That is looking comfortable and also "sporty" enough to make it a great riding bike! :thumbsup:

LOVE IT!

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Nope, it's all wrong! Send it to me and I'll sort it all out!

ParkRNDL and LukeTheJoker like this.
  12. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

By Jove, I think I've got it.
    20200325_181754.jpg
    I'm a sucker for this style seat. I grab every decent one I can find cheap; I have them on 4 or 5 builds now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  13. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Oh yeah! Looks great on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LukeTheJoker and ParkRNDL like this.
  14. sandman

sandman

I like the old mattress seats . Springs right they belong .