Schwinn Convertible ...SEX CHANGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Since creating the TRM Convertible Tank, I'm constantly on the hunt for other suitable girls bikes to try them out on. This 1957 Schwinn Wasp surfaced not long ago on CL and looked like a promising candidate in the photos. As it turned out, I feel confident that it will work with some careful fitting. I don't have a deadline, so I'll be working it in as I can this winter.

Here's the starting point:
1336-1447635008-565c6db7693d42d7b858b0dcbbffdd58.jpg

Here's where it's headed:
wasp%20tank%20painted_zpsf4fckz7e.jpg

Last edited:
I started breaking the bike down yesterday but stopped short of removing the stem and fork. The last Schwinn stem bolt that I tried to force snapped off in the wedge so I didn't want to chance it on this one. After removing the fender, I turned the bike upside down and sprayed PB Blaster through the bottom of the fork and let it soak until today. Luckily I was able to loosen the bolt with an impact wrench and then finally knocked the stem out with a rubber mallet.

Now I have a blank canvas to start with.
frame_zps9ml4faqp.jpg

I spent several hours today mounting the tank. You just can't get in a hurry with this step. Even after carefully checking and double checking, I missed the location for the head tube.:mad: I had to move the hole back almost 1/4" leaving a nice gap in the front. Luckily a misstep with fiberglass is pretty easy to fix. I'll repair it later.
Bad%20hole_zpsvkvnqy7c.jpg

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the initial fit. Just a little fine tuning and it'll be ready for paint prep!
101_0021_zpsmyqrfhps.jpg

I love these convertible tank thread/builds! Only thing that gets me down about them is when I find them in this stage and completely done!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Are you planning a patina match, or a re-spray?
Even though my last build was finished in completely new paint, I tend to really gravitate toward original weathered paint. Such is the case here.

The challenge will be making the new fiberglass tank blend with the appropriate amount of scratches and rust. The tank for Raceliner was not very hard to make match because it was almost completely in rust. This will be the opposite in that it will be about 90 percent paint with rust only coming through in the appropriate places.

I usually enjoy working through the process, but I have to admit this one is going to be particularly challenging. It would be easier to completely repaint everything, but what's the fun in that!:bigsmile:

I love the concept of making the tank match the existing bicycle paint. Kudos to you sir.
Thanks!

I wonder if this tank could be adapted to a late '30's ladies Elgin.

Would make it almost look like a Bluebird.
Well, let;s just see.:39:
1342-1449496183-4d2db808f0c7e23cc7940ce6ee26d95d.jpg

...not bad!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Trm, can you give the digital trm tank experience to the 4 bar @onewheelsqueal posted?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I can't guarantee that the scale is dead on, but it should be close. That is a very cool frame!
1341-1449495542-9f662d039ef0f06f40d2cae2b96fc7d6.jpg

What goop do you use?
I know they have several products.
In this case, 'goop' is used as a more general term than a specific product. (Sort of like how a lot of people here in the South use 'Coke' as a general term for any soft drink.;)) I didn't realize that myself until just now when I called my fiberglass guy that makes the tanks for me. What I used is some type of fiberglass paste that he has to mix at the shop from commercial bulk parts.

I asked him what would be the closest retail product that could be found easily and he recommended Dynatron™ Dyna-Glass® polyester filler. You might research it and find other similar products. I hope that helps.

It's been a few weeks since I've worked on this one. (I'm easily distracted when I get new projects in the shop.) :21:

I've been studying the original finish for the past month to try and come up with a plan to mimic it on the tank. It's one thing to create patina that looks convincing, but it's much more difficult to create patina on a new part and make it match what's already there on the rest of the bike!:whew:

I took an extra tank half that was not going to be sold (it was 2nd quality from the mold) and used it as a test piece for developing some new techniques that I have been working on in my head.
After this past weekend's effort, I feel confident enough to jump on the actual parts this week!

This is also a sneak peek into how the two tone colors will be handled.:ninja:

Paint%20test_zpsgtwy0pqb.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back