Saved from the crusher

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on our way home from family vacation in nebraska we found a old salvage yard that was crushing everything. Managed to save these from destruction even had to pull a couple out of the pile being loaded into cars
1946 schwinn dx with blackout hubs and the tapered kickstand
20120531_145537.jpg

Middle weight boys schwinn canti
20120531_145659.jpg

24" western flyer boys bike with a cool chainguard
20120531_145628.jpg

Girls 24" hawthorne with nice badge and art deco stem
20120531_145638.jpg

Finally a 26" western flyer tank bike
20120531_150250.jpg

Probably some EPA liberal forced them to crush. That is the main cause these days. Junk yards from back in the day being forced to clean out. Also, some yuppies tend to move into neighborhoods nearby and then complain about having to look at the junk yard. Who was there first? Who made the decision to move in? No common sense and it shows how people feel entitled to things nowadays.

You guys think THIS is SAD?! I'll show you what is sad...a great many of these cars were DRIVEN to their final resting place! :x :x :x

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=133401

In my area the scrappers are like fleas,they will scrap anything without a second glance.So most old bikes die a useless death.I finally got a few of them to start bringing me bikes to look at them first but it wasnt easy.

Chips_Mahoy said:
I'm giving you a one man standing ovation.......can you hear it!!?? The Western Flyer is my favorite.

Let's make that a two man standing ovation! :lol: Great saves! I like them all! Build off material for the next few years. 8)

Xcruiser said:
In my area the scrappers are like fleas,they will scrap anything without a second glance.So most old bikes die a useless death.I finally got a few of them to start bringing me bikes to look at them first but it wasnt easy.

Most people who trash pick and scrap for a living aren't that birhgt to begin with. There are exceptions, but most of them never even completed high school. So naturally they seem to have their sights set on making a few dollars when they can use their brain when they something nice and get a lot more for it.

At least around here.

I always try to keep a bit of cash on hand because I tell Junkers I pay $5 a bike no matter what it is as long as it's complete and tires are up. You'd be surprised what I've gotten. I buy a lot of junk but break even every time on tubes and scrap. Then on the occasion he finds something good it's payday!

I wish the scrap yards around here would give me bikes.. They have a lot of old stuff but in order to look at it, you have to have one of the guys walk around with you. I've tried a couple of times but they're always busy.. But on the bright side, they don't scrap all the new bikes that come in, they push them to the side and then a guy comes and hauls them off to rebuild and fix to give to needy kids :D

450redrider said:
outskirtscustoms said:
How can anyone look at those and think of junking them? Nice saves!
What was really sad was all the 40's and 50's cars and trucks i couldn't save
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Wow, great saves! :shock: Your lucky you got there when you did :wink:

Latest posts

Back