SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the honest opinion my friend. I know the bars aren't gonna be for everyone, but I really love them. The relative grip position to the stem isn't much different to many other bars. They are about the same width as the longhorns I had been using. But they do have a forward thrusting mass for sure. To me that is their appeal. Ever since I saw my first pair of Murray Mark 3 bars (which these are designed from somewhat) I wanted some. I loved @karfer67 's Galt Town Hooligan and later Bighit's Sidewalk Super Villain Supernaut. After riding around and feeling and seeing them in the real world rather than just in my shop and courtyard, I wouldn't swap them out for anything.

View attachment 29822
As I wrote, it's my very personal opinion. I can see what you mean and why you want these bars on the bike. You like them and they suit you (and the bike). That's what counts. We (or at least the most of us) build the bikes for ourselves, so WE have to like what we build.
And why should Imelda Barcos wear an ordinary set of shoes? [emoji6] [emoji12]

I fixed the front fender mounting screw. Nothing major wrong.

Mounted the chain guard tonight. I like how the paint turned out on it.
I was thinking it looked a little high in the front and now that I have compared this photo with older ones, I think I flipped the downtube bracket the wrong way. Easy fix tomorrow.

20160725_192238.jpg

One thing that was sorely missed on my ride yesterday was a kickstand.
I started looking around the shop for some shiny metal rod that I might be able to bend to make a pedal block stand similar to the one I saw @kanar use in Paris and the one that @metalchewy has on dBd.
I was about to try and rebend a crash rail from a saddle when I saw this chrome seatstay piece that I got last year. I always thought it would make a cool sissy bar, but tonight, it screamed pedal stand to me. One thing that I learned from @Jake Sensi was when bike parts talk to you, you should listen (or stop drinking).

20160725_192114.jpg

Tool some measurements and figured were to cut. My original plan was to screw the bolts into the brake bosses.

20160725_193004.jpg

Just needed the middle section and not bolts.
Here is my shiny pedal stand

20160725_193320.jpg

The brake bosses lock in pretty well into the fatty pedals.

20160725_193430.jpg

20160725_193522.jpg

20160725_193919.jpg
20160725_194019.jpg

Another bonus that I discovered is that it tucks up inside the tank very snuggly for easy access.

20160725_194440.jpg

when bike parts talk to you, you should listen (or stop drinking).

I'm gonna put that on a t-shirt..... and a bumper sticker.

HA!!! I'd buy one!

Cool, it's some LYN. PD police id number. It had a Long Beach bike tag on it when I got it.
Big change over the past couple of days

index.php

index.php

View attachment 28709
Even the bottom bracket is a bit Art Deco & the 444 is pretty awesome that's my lucky # it appears pops up often to me in the strangest places [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed the chain guard placement. It's much better now and flows with the chainring and even mimicks to lurching sweep of the bars a bit.

BEFORE

index.php

AFTER

20160726_190030.jpg

Well I have dwelled on the braided stainless bar cover enough and I like it a lot. I think coloration and texture ties the bars into the rest of the bike better than not having it on. So I installed it on the other side as well and went for another ride.

It was sunset, so I had to take advatage of light where I could get it. In this pic, the bars actually angled down a little, but you can see how the bike glows in the right light.

20160726_200352.jpg

I felt like having our Cathedral spires in the background, so I went to this lot for a few shots.

20160726_200917.jpg
20160726_200946.jpg
20160726_201038.jpg
20160726_201301.jpg

Then I rode over to the park and took these after chatting with a nice couple from Inverness, Scotland.

20160726_202451.jpg
20160726_202551.jpg

Super !
I think the bars look primo. Exxxcellent move. They just changed the entire sweep of the bike. They're killin' me. :rofl:
Wasn't sure about the braiding at first look either...but it does fatten them up so they go more with the overall look.
But really, it's everything...from the tank to that gleam off the frame...the pedals, wheel covers..and man that rear fender, just BAM my eye goes right there. They don't need pin-striping (IMO).. I love the clean look with that reflecting peek of red under.
Stellar build Bro
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
3 thumbs up.
F.

Awesome. The only advise I can muster is a different seat. This bike needs a black leather seat in better shape. The rest of the bike is so slick and the seat is too barn fresh.

But hey, you're the builder. Whatever you like.

Awesome. The only advise I can muster is a different seat. This bike needs a black leather seat in better shape. The rest of the bike is so slick and the seat is too barn fresh.

But hey, you're the builder. Whatever you like.

Hmmmmmm, I may just give my PHAT Leper Primus saddle a try tomorrow and see how she looks.
The current saddle is the one that came with this Silver King.

index.php

Or the tan one I have

index.php

Latest posts

Back