SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint will only slow it down on the flats ;)
Waiting for all the goodies that will go on this...

Ok king you already have 3 pages of chit chat but no progress pictures yet . What's up with that ? I think we're all chomping at the bit to see you you will improve this already awesome frame [emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok king you already have 3 pages of chit chat but no progress pictures yet . What's up with that ? I think we're all chomping at the bit to see you you will improve this already awesome frame [emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Funny you should ask. I haven't had time for SaltHammer until tonight.
D2-

20160505_201731.jpg

Last edited:
I was actually pretty "AMP"ed about trying out the AMP Research fork that arrived in the mail today.

20160505_130104.jpg

Well, I was quickly let down. It was advertised as a 1" but turned out to be a 1-1/8" steer tube. I tried, but there is no way for it to fit in the SK head tube. :(
So the seller is going to take it back. If anyone is interested in it let me know. It's a pretty killer fork and I had plans to do a faux Monark springer treatment to it.

20160505_130134.jpg

DAY TWO ON THIS BUILD -
I put the forks aside and mounted the original SK fork back on and decided to test out some bars to get a feel for what stance I wanted with this build.

First up were the clubman bars. I'm just not feeling these at all. Strike 1

20160505_193609.jpg

Then I tried these narrow modern double level bars I got in a trade. They're not too bad, but just not what I want. Strike 2

20160505_193920.jpg

Next up where the ones I thought I would like the most and for now they are. These are a nice set of cross brace longhorns similar to the rusty ones I used on starsNbars. :thumbsup:

20160505_194529.jpg

20160505_194621.jpg

Last edited:
Dude that suuuucks that would have look sweet . I surprised iv never had seen that amp fork . Will it not fit in the head tube ? I think they make a conversation head set to adapter , or is it 1 1/8 to 1" can't remember.

Dude that suuuucks that would have look sweet . I surprised iv never had seen that amp fork . Will it not fit in the head tube ? I think they make a conversation head set to adapter , or is it 1 1/8 to 1" can't remember.

It won't fit in the the headtube and be centered so it won't work. There is some extra bulk in these SK cast headtubes and I don't want to risk compromising anything by grinding it.

Yes wouldn't want to do that for sure . Time to get thinking. This is the parts that suck in the build off . I'm sure you will figure it out .

There you go...taking your build from zero to sick in like 4 seconds!! Cross-brace bars look real good!

Yes wouldn't want to do that for sure . Time to get thinking. This is the parts that suck in the build off . I'm sure you will figure it out .

Honestly I'm not that bummed. It wasn't something I was set on. It was just an idea that I wanted to try. I'm not ruling out keeping the OG forks, but I do plan to play around and see what some of my other springer forks look like. Testing out ideas is a blast to me.

D2-
Tested out another wild hair idea. Saw a cheap Nirve ducktail front fender and slapped it on the rear for the fun of it. I've never cared that much for full fenders on this frame because the struts kill the lines of the frame. Who knows on this idea? I'll leave these pics here and brew on this one later down the road.

20160505_195105.jpg
20160505_195141.jpg
20160505_195046.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain the next idea is a keeper. I got this zepellen
Flipping the clubman bar would probably give a good land speed look, but not a very pleasant ride for any distance. :blackeye:

Yeah, I thought about that and I remembered how well :) my gut did with the flipped ramshorns on Firewing.

D2-
I'm pretty certain the next idea is a keeper. I got this zeppelin guard from @American Vintage Bicycle Supply . I like that it has a section cut out of it because that keeps the leaf spring exposed.

20160505_195747.jpg
20160505_195754.jpg
20160505_195806.jpg

Last edited:
D2-
That's it for day 2 of playing with SaltHammer
I did pull VerBoten out to compare the wheelbase, seat, and bar positions and they are relatively close. VerBoten has been an excellent rider this past 9 months, so it's a good reference point for me.

20160505_195955.jpg
20160505_200011.jpg
20160505_200031.jpg

Last edited:
Geez KF, bars again? Between that and me trying to figure out tank placement, we're gonna hold up the line.

Geez KF, bars again? Between that and me trying to figure out tank placement, we're gonna hold up the line.

LOL, I'm doing much better. It only took me three posts to decide this year.

Funny how that guard worked out! I have a zeppelin too, saving it for the perfect bike. I do like the rear fender idea as long as you can keep it close to the tire. I'm not sure you can find any improvement over the SK fork though, sometimes subtle beauty wins!

Funny how that guard worked out! I have a zeppelin too, saving it for the perfect bike. I do like the rear fender idea as long as you can keep it close to the tire. I'm not sure you can find any improvement over the SK fork though, sometimes subtle beauty wins!

Yeah, I may just steal the SK truss rods that are on the 1935 SK that I picked up last week.

Latest posts

Back