SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That frame looks so layed back already... Gonna be a cool build for sure...
Your past builds have had cool color combos any ideas for this one yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously silver is one of the colors. Haven't wrapped my head around any other colors that might serve as accents. When I was first thinking of James Dean's Spyder, I was planning some red accent fins along the curved seat stays, but I am on a different direction now.

Obviously silver is one of the colors. Haven't wrapped my head around any other colors that might serve as accents. When I was first thinking of James Dean's Spyder, I was planning some red accent fins along the curved seat stays, but I am on a different direction now.
Funny you say that, I'm about to post my TRM tank build in the builds thread. Yup gonna be themed after the Porsche 550.

I would suggest taking a run at the Moon Equipped look, but maybe yellow and black pinstripes would be too much. I've always been a fan of blue and polished aluminum side-by-side. Maybe take a cue from Sir Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird(s)?

The more I look at this, the more I think the real trick will be the right seat setup to really set it off.

I actually played around with this saddle that was on the Silver King I picked up last week. I forgot to take pics of it on SaltHammer though. Really can't say if it was thumbs up or down. I need to get some bars mocked up to get the overall scale and fitment of every thing.

13096099_265570683784223_6063518238554452731_n.jpg

That frame is so trick & beyond its time . Old but yet cutting Edege , and Art Deco all at the same time . It looks fast already . I feel as if I'm a lap down already LOL. Maybe I should have named my build the 3 legged dog haha. It's all in good fun . This year is shaping up to be a good one . [emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this is the same bike that you rescued and repaired from craigslist a year or so ago. I respected how well you repaired this and documented it. That was actually part of the reason I bought this with confidence. Thanks for the work you did on this.
EDIT- It looks like somehow the repair thread on this is now missing a bulk of the work description and photos. No worries. If anyone wants to see the detailed work that went into this you can view these PDFs of the how the thread originally looked as recently as the beginning of this build off.

CeeBee's Hawthorne Silver King FloCycle Work

These frames truly are works of art in their own right. Most purists only want them restored as they were originally. That's not my thing. I don't have a complete plan for this build at all right now. As usual, I'll have fun trying out different parts and ideas. Most will fail, but in the end I'll find a balance that I like. Some may feel that anything I add to the bike is "grafitti", but I feel I usually put enough thought into a build to make sure things flow well.

Last edited:
I think kingfish254 forgot to read over the revisions in the rules for the 2016 Buildoff - STEEL FRAMES ONLY!!!

just kidding

But there otta be a rule against starting a buildoff with a frame like that although it would be REALLY COOL if everyone started with a frame like that. Good Luck with your Awesome Build!

You know, I've seen pics of a lot of these Silver King's after they have been restored and I've come to the conclusion that I like them better without all the clutter. Stripped down to the essentials I can now see what an interesting frame these really are which I've never noticed so much before. A lot to be said for simplicity.

I don't have a complete plan for this build at all right now. As usual, I'll have fun trying out different parts and ideas.

This is what makes your build so much fun to watch. You do it on the fly and show everything you are doing/trying out.

Those moon discs look awesome on there!

Latest posts

Back