SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was just the closest smiley to someone talking alot Just poking fun at the sidebar chatter.

How wide of a tire will it take on the rear ? a kenda flame would get some good traction in the flats . But there almost 3" wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How wide of a tire will it take on the rear ? a kenda flame would get some good traction in the flats . But there almost 3" wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are 26x2 thicksslicks. I know I have seen Fat Franks used a lot on Silver Kings, but I'm gonna be different and stick with the slicks.

DAY THREE ON THIS BUILD -
Got these Redline Monster three piece cranks and Odyssey bearings from @BillyZ last year.
This will be my first experience with this style crank. Also my first time using a BB conversion.

20160507_144023.jpg

Got the conversion installed (backawards to start with and had to remove it and swap sides) :crazy:

20160507_145112.jpg

20160507_165850.jpg

I kinda like this Schwinn mag sprocket. We'll see if it stays or not.
Got the Crank Brother 5050 pedals locally last year. I'll probably repaint them.

20160507_171850.jpg

20160507_174352.jpg

Last edited:
D3-
Got this beautiful jeweled headlight with it's cool stem mount bracket from the CABE last year. It's missing a front trim ring and glass, but I have some plans for that. I might even try to make my own version of a Delta horn light. It fits with the stem I am using very well.

lt1.jpg

20160507_171839.jpg

The light was glaring by the pond so I had to switch photo spots.

20160507_171926.jpg

20160507_172016.jpg
20160507_172100.jpg
20160507_172138.jpg

Last edited:
Got this beautiful jeweled headlight with it's cool stem mount bracket from the CABE last year. It's missing a front trim ring and glass, but I have some plans for that. I might even try to make my own version of a Delta horn light. It fits with the stem I am using very well.

If I may enter the King's Court, Salt Flats, dude! Aero! No glass or ring in that lamp? Flip it 180 and make a bullet nose to cut through the air. Or maybe stuff it with a speedo. They don't race at night anyway.

furyus

D3-
I haven't tried to straighten out the struts yet, but just ran them through a light wire wheel to take off the top oxidation layer. I can't bolt them to the axle yet because the axle it too short. But I like them on the bike. These came from the 1935 SK that I bought last week.

20160507_174304.jpg
20160507_174316.jpg
20160507_174325.jpg
20160507_174338.jpg
20160507_174434.jpg
20160507_174452.jpg
20160507_174458.jpg
20160507_174514.jpg
20160507_174522.jpg

Last edited:
If I may enter the King's Court, Salt Flats, dude! Aero! No glass or ring in that lamp? Flip it 180 and make a bullet nose to cut through the air. Or maybe stuff it with a speedo. They don't race at night anyway.

furyus

Interesting idea. I may have to try that tomorrow. Another idea that I have had in my mind for a couple of years now is doing a bullet nose speedo, but have it hiding a bluetooth speaker inside.

Ah, King? I'm pretty sure a spaceship just landed in Queenfish's beautiful courtyard.....

Brian, Let's get real, if you don't mind. You're builds are a mixed bag for me. Put simply, your builds always go to 11. Sometimes it works, such as Firewing, which I thought would be awful until the final bike impressed me. Sometimes it doesn't, such as last years, which I thought couldn't lose with your frame fork combo, and then went too far, in my opinion, which admittedly means very little. But your efforts and out of the box use of parts can be inspiring, so I always watch with a tentative anticipation.

This time, the frame/wheels combo is a winner. Where will it go from here? Time will tell. I think that modern fork would have been a mistake, so I'm kind of glad it didn't work out. The truss rods are a big yes.

I like what I'm seeing so far, and so I leave you with the old bike builder's prayer, "may the hammer of inspiration fall off the top shelf, smack you right on the crown of the head, and leave you with the concussion of innovation."

P.S. I'm not sure innovation is the right word for that prayer, but I just made up this ancient, sacred prayer on the spot, so forgive me.

And like all opinions... I have one too.
Truss rods are for spindely vintage wire rimmed old bikes...
This is an art deco bike reaching for the future.
Streamlined, clean, moderne.
Just my opinion.

Carl.

Brian, Let's get real, if you don't mind. You're builds are a mixed bag for me. Put simply, your builds always go to 11. Sometimes it works, such as Firewing, which I thought would be awful until the final bike impressed me. Sometimes it doesn't, such as last years, which I thought couldn't lose with your frame fork combo, and then went too far, in my opinion, which admittedly means very little. But your efforts and out of the box use of parts can be inspiring, so I always watch with a tentative anticipation.

This time, the frame/wheels combo is a winner. Where will it go from here? Time will tell. I think that modern fork would have been a mistake, so I'm kind of glad it didn't work out. The truss rods are a big yes.

I like what I'm seeing so far, and so I leave you with the old bike builder's prayer, "may the hammer of inspiration fall off the top shelf, smack you right on the crown of the head, and leave you with the concussion of innovation."

P.S. I'm not sure innovation is the right word for that prayer, but I just made up this ancient, sacred prayer on the spot, so forgive me.

Deven, I've always enjoyed and encouraged your feedback and critiques on my builds. You are even handed in your constructive criticism and/or praise without being abusive or a yes man. I'm far from a prima donna, I'm just an old guy having fun experimenting with kid's bikes.

I didn't know what Firewing, or Flexy, or starsNbars, or VerBoten where going to finally look like until the latter parts of any of those builds. It's just the way I have fun building. Not much has changed since my first 30 day build BEER RUN in BO6. I'm always gonna keep trying stuff even if I think it won't work, because for every 10 things that suck, I seem to find the one thing that doesn't. There's no fun in it for me without the constant experimentation.

I like your "on the fly" ancient sacred prayer. I think if I try enough stuff and have fun doing it, the odds are in my favor that every now and then I come up with something innovative. And sometimes a little "what was I thinking" wonk on the head is a good thing.

I still think an AMP fork with a faux Monark springer would look awesome on a bike, BUT not this build. I agree that the original forks are best for this build so far, especially now that I have the truss rods.

I'm glad that you ended up liking Firewing in the end. I'm still very proud of that bike and how well it was received in BO8 and even today three years later.

I'm sorry you didn't care for the final version of VerBoten. I'm still thrilled with it every time I ride it or look at. For the longest time Flexy was personally my favorite build, but VerBoten took it's place. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me.

Where will SaltHammer fall in my list of builds? Who knows. It's a FloCycle, I could just slap a set of fat tires on it and call it done and it would look great. But where is the fun in that. Stay tuned. Same Fish time, Same Fish channel.

p.s. Thanks again for the feedback though. Part of the beauty of the build offs that draws me to them every year is how we feed off of the interaction with each other.

Last edited:
And like all opinions... I have one too.
Truss rods are for spindely vintage wire rimmed old bikes...
This is an art deco bike reaching for the future.
Streamlined, clean, moderne.
Just my opinion.

Carl.

Carl, I agree that there is a clean beauty to the front end without the truss rods, but when I compare similar pics with and without them, I still prefer the look with them on.

Carl, I agree that there is a clean beauty to the front end without the truss rods, but when I compare similar pics with and without them, I still prefer the look with them on.

Although... another cue would be IF they had them originally...
I don't know, and I know it's not a restoration, but a re-imagining,
so it's Cool cuz it's yer bike brother.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back