SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Those are easy to try.
In the meantime here is a walkaround video in Forsyth Park at sunset.
Those are crickets you hear.

Last edited:
Super !
I think the bars look primo. Exxxcellent move. They just changed the entire sweep of the bike. They're killin' me. :rofl:
Wasn't sure about the braiding at first look either...but it does fatten them up so they go more with the overall look.
But really, it's everything...from the tank to that gleam off the frame...the pedals, wheel covers..and man that rear fender, just BAM my eye goes right there. They don't need pin-striping (IMO).. I love the clean look with that reflecting peek of red under.
Stellar build Bro
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
3 thumbs up.
F.

Thanks bud. The bars do make it look like it's lurching forward about to pounce like a puma.
I think the braided stainless gives a great coloration and texture that goes well with the brushed aluminum wheels.
I'm very happy with how the mix of parts and pieces are playing with each other. The yeshoney triple ducks really stand out in the back. When they were black you had to look to see them. In silver they show the shadows on the contours better and just pop.
Glad you like it man. Thanks for the compliments. I had a blast riding it again tonight.

20160726_201301.jpg

Here is a second walkaround video that is a little closer to the bike and quieter crickets.

Good call on the braided sleeves. They look great on there for exactly the reasons you mention.

Look forward to seeing the potential seat choose. Think AVBS could be right about that but I do like the ratty one too..:39:

Last edited:
I'm gonna semi agree with AVBS on the seat here.
Having seen the old frame in person, the ratty seat was a great fit. But looking at pics of this frame and the subtle differences between the two, I like the black seat. But not shiny and new, maybe some slight aging.

Had to work a little late and ran out of daylight tonight.
All I got done tonight was try out a few different seats based on Tyler's suggestion.
Still not sure, but I have a few options to mull over (including keeping the original ratty saddle).
So here we go with seat choice roulette.

For a point of reference, here is the existing original ratty saddle as it was found with the Silver King.

20160726_200946.jpg

I tried out the Black and the Tan Leper Primus saddle and I don't think I am feeling either one of these

20160727_192942.jpg
20160727_193616.jpg

My Oriole came in today and it has a cool longspring metal pan seat, so I tried it. If I used this I would paint it either silver or black.

20160727_203353.jpg
20160727_203503.jpg

Then I tried the metal saddle that was on the Shelby Shockease frame I got. Again if I used this I would paint it silver or black.

20160727_203654.jpg
20160727_203702.jpg

And finally, I decided to try the cool riveted Felt saddle from the Fat Tire Ale bike I got.

20160727_202420.jpg
20160727_202431.jpg

If I had to choose I'd go with the black leper or felt saddle, but they're both to shiny for my liking on this bike.

The metal pans also open up the opportunity for some creative painting. Not as extreme as Flexy but some design or number logo or something could be added on top of a bike matching silver background.

Or I could paint the springs black and the topside of the metal saddles silver to match the fenders and guard.

The metal pans also open up the opportunity for some creative painting. Not as extreme as Flexy but some design or number logo or something could be added on top of a bike matching silver background.

Or I could paint the springs black and the topside of the metal saddles silver to match the fenders and guard.
You could also try your hand at some of that Gaskill masking tape graphics.

I like the pic with the spiked fence, gives it a real 'don't mess with me' look. Also, glad you settled on the glitter grips. Otherwise I was going to have to make a 'pun-post' about getting a 'grip'..

As I wrote, it's my very personal opinion. I can see what you mean and why you want these bars on the bike. You like them and they suit you (and the bike). That's what counts. We (or at least the most of us) build the bikes for ourselves, so WE have to like what we build.
And why should Imelda Barcos wear an ordinary set of shoes? [emoji6] [emoji12]
Hahahaha! Well put my friend!

As for saddles, I like the two metal pan options. The mix of old ratty and updated shiny is what makes this bike a *gulp* winner in my mind.

If you use the Oriole saddle, the long springs pull it down long and low to mimic the fenders. If you use the Shelby it mimics the tank and bars for that thrusting forward / racy look. Either one, in my opinion, is better than any of the 'new' ones. But again, in Rust I Trust....

Yep you have built my dream bike :43::13:.

Latest posts

Back