"Salt Flyer" best RRBBO #3 from Utah LOL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so its probably the only RRBBO #3 bike from Utah, so I win the state by default. LOL
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
There's the link to the build thread if anyone cares to check out the specs on the rotary girder (Tommyboy)
Anyway, here's a quickie about the bike. This is my first "build" if you can call it that. Here's a couple of pics as purchased, "before" pictures when I bought it earlier this month. I innocently went looking for an old beach cruiser bike after making a work trip down to Huntington Beach/Sunset Beach where I went on a bike cruise one night on the beach bike path. After that ride, I had to have a cruiser of my own. Once I bought the bike, I then again, went innocently looking to research exactly what kind of bike I had just bought on bikeforums.com and came across a link to this coolest forum. It appears to be a '59-'61 JC Higgins or Western Flyer frame and springer fork. I was told it has a '52 2 sprocket crank/sprocket set up. It appears to have a non-OG rear rack, no fenders and no chain guard. The ding dong bell is an awesome touch, the kids love it.
BEFORE PIC
5989775.jpg

100_6135.jpg

InBetween pic
100_6233.jpg

100_6219-1.jpg

This is no rear rack and with light tank.
AFTER PICS
100_6240.jpg

100_6238.jpg

100_6256.jpg

100_6236.jpg

So, the final configuration includes Rickster vintage Schwinn white grips, flipped handlebars, flipped springer fork, removed light tank, removed rear luggage rack. After seeing other builds on this site, I couldn't leave well-enough alone right. I had to mod it, rod it and ride it! (edit: and mod it again).
It went from Salt Cruiser to Salt Flyer, too bad I didn't have it all done up like this when I was on the Salt Flats last week. The bike is much lighter without the light tank and rack. I'll probably start refinishing those components. But, I really like the racer bike look right now. I don't know if I could put the tank back on it. Maybe I'll save it for later when I can build another one (RRBBO #4?) without a tank. We'll see. For now, this has been a blast. Thanks Rickster and others who gave me ideas and parts. ;)
Chris "hechtrod" Hecht
ps, so I removed the skinny front tire. After riding it (it was fast) it lost its character and "feel". The big meat on front fits the bike much better.

Nice truck! I think I remember seeing that there. So many cars at Speed Week!

Yeah, that is one bonus of living it ute. What a cool place! We've got Bonneville Speedway and now Miller Motorsports park, 2006 Racing Facility of the Year in its first year. Anyway, hopefully this is the first bike of many I can build and ride. thanks

Latest posts

Back