Rusty ATL Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Western Flyer has been in my Grandfathers shop for decades. I finally decided to pull it down and get to work on it. Definitely leaving the rust on it. I had to bend the frame back into shape and the front fork, as you can see in the pictures.
Ordered new wheels, tires, seat post, saddle, chain and had it riding pretty quickly.

Now that i have gotten it rolling, i am considering either doing a front hub electric motor or a 2 stroke 50cc motor to help flatten the hills in Atlanta.

I am open to opinions on the best kits for these motor options.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 241
I like your plan so far

Looks really good with the white tires, and did you make it match your fireplace on purpose... because it looks like you did. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice start! I say use the 1.5 hp you were born with....:grin:

Sizable instrument on your mantle...16" viola?

Looks really good with the white tires, and did you make it match your fireplace on purpose... because it looks like you did. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on purpose, but good for the photo op. I was just storing it in that room. Fireplace (house) is 1905, makes the bike seem modern being 50 yrs newer!

Thanks! It's just a regular size violin
Must be the older fireplace / mantle size that makes it look so big. I have a degree in Stringed Musical Instrument Repair and focus on violin family instruments here in my home shop. Always nice to see a classical instrument along with a classic looking bike!

Love the patina and set up already... Is that not ment to have a rack on the back?
Mmmm now as for electric or moto. Depends. If you do electric where will you hide/mount the battery. And if motorised the tank?

Love the patina and set up already... Is that not ment to have a rack on the back?
Mmmm now as for electric or moto. Depends. If you do electric where will you hide/mount the battery. And if motorised the tank?

I dont have any other original parts for the bike (tank, rack, etc.), but i like the stripped down look anyways. If I go electric, i would have to mount the battery to the seat tube or down tube. I had the idea of making the batter look vintage by spraying it with crackle paint and distressing it. I hear some batteries have the controller built into the hub, so i wouldnt have to 'hide' it or distress it.

If i went gas motor, i would distress one of the kit tanks the same way i did the battery.

Another area i could use some help on...
The crank (One piece) is a little twisted on one side...
What is the best way to twist it back straight?

This Western Flyer has been in my Grandfathers shop for decades. I finally decided to pull it down and get to work on it. Definitely leaving the rust on it. I had to bend the frame back into shape and the front fork, as you can see in the pictures.
Ordered new wheels, tires, seat post, saddle, chain and had it riding pretty quickly.

Now that i have gotten it rolling, i am considering either doing a front hub electric motor or a 2 stroke 50cc motor to help flatten the hills in Atlanta.

I am open to opinions on the best kits for these motor options.
I really like your approach on straightening the frame and fork!
If going for uphill-assistance, I would say go for electrical and hide the battery's as good as possible...
Me for my part, I would leave it like it is. I really love that rusty barebone style. But, it's your bike and therefore your decision.

Another area i could use some help on...
The crank (One piece) is a little twisted on one side...
What is the best way to twist it back straight?
My experience with crank arms is if they are bent or twisted, they don't bend back without compromising their integrity; i.e. will break easily.

The chain ring itself can be tweaked, use a large adjustable wrench, set the jaws so they fit close around the bent spot, and with a couple of slow tugs, ease it into true. Spin , check, and repeat if necessary.

X-53 frames are so cool!
This is gonna be fun!

LOVE this bike. I spend about every other weekend down in Atlanta. it can get quite hilly down there. A little flatter up here in Nashville, but not much. I chose to go with a 3 speed hub on my bike. But I like these ideas of being motorized! Good luck with your build...I'll definitely be watching!!

This bike is an inspiration. FANTASTIC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back