***RustMaster*** Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see the whole picture. Everything flows very well on this build. I think you made the right choice on removing the front fender brace doodad. It looks more like an afterthought. The rest of the pieces are very well placed. Looking sharp!

I finally got around to playing with the fenders. I wanted to go without a front fender and bob the back fender. Well I was using the front fender tip as a guide as to the shape I wanted to cut the back fender. My son then suggested to cut the back fender and weld half the front fender on to the back fender. We cut and hid the weld behind the middle fender mount. Then we started to kick around ideas for the front fender, that's when again my son suggested to attach the remaining rear fender to the remaining piece of front fender, which gave it some length to hang down low on the front fender. Again the weld was hidden this time under the fork. So if you followed me I took the front tip fender to the back and move the rear tip of the fender to the front. I know it sounds like insanity but it does work. Sorry, I don't have pictures of all the cutting and welding.
Here is the bike with the fenders. I think I went a little too far with the doodads attached to the front fork strap and It will be removed. Perhaps less is more.

Amazing look, the new fork really works man. I agree the fender brace doodads need to go. But overall this bike is flat out awesome. the springer balusters are killer.

I've been working on smoothing out the rear fender brackets. Cleaning up the welds, a little grinding, a little filler, a little sanding, a little more sanding, and finally primer and paint.

I think it now flows nice.

and I purchased a headlight, that I plan to mount to the front tip of the fender. The wife says "You have the front fender pulled back and that headlight will be pointing into the clouds" I told her that I know but this is a matter of style verses functionality and I don't care. I just won't ride the bike at night. Problem solved!

Oh, may have to scalp your idea, building my wife a bike and she wants "pretty" , guess the Klunker I was planning is on hold. I gave her bike( I built 22 years ago up in a trade) this may get me out of the dog house. Very cool look.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

This is my first attempt at covering a bike seat. I selected the seat on the right to be my first victim.

I will be using this automotive headliner glue, cost around $10 for a can.

I will be using this womans jacket that I picked up at a local thrift store for $5.99.

I like the pattern on the jacket and it's made of PolyVinyl, so I'm hope full that this works out okay. I was looking for leather but did not find anything except black.

I took my scissors and following the seams and removed the back of the jacket and discarded the liner. The liner had an old lady perfume smell. Ewwww.

I sprayed two coats of headliner glue to the material and the seat, following the instructions on the can, I waited 5 minutes before attaching the material to the seat, again following the instructions.

I have no pictures at this point while I worked the material around the seat. This glue is very sticky and bonded quite well. A few relief cuts were needed, and a final trimming of the excess material. I was planning to add some staples but the glue appears to be quite attached, so I skipped the staples.

Nice work on that seat! I guess I need to go to more thrift shops.
You should make some matching grips!

The textured paint looks great and the smooth transition on the welds are spot on!
20140614_210820_resized_zps7339fda1.jpg

Years ago I gave my welder to my son. I figured he would get more use out of it than me, plus I could always go over and use it. We used the welder quite a bit, when together we worked on a father/son 57 Chevy project.

I then sold the car to my son for a dollar. He did do a lot of the work on the car!
Well I needed the welder and went over to my sons house to work on the bike. I first started with this fork and I had an idea for the struts.

and I purchased a pair of these decorative rail balusters...

Cut, pounded flat and drilled a hole...and I have a front fork strut.

Yup we are on the same frequency with our design. I also added iron work to my frame ill post pic's soon...... nice work

Latest posts

Back