Rust never sleeps :8/21 update ... sort of

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure what it is/was, Colson/Hawthorne maybe? Lots of rust and that's the way it's gonna stay. Other than that try to use up some of the scrap parts in the garage.

IMG_0700.jpg

Inverted badge
IMG_0701.jpg

Re: Rust never sleeps

Hmm, got some red rims laying around, maybe even steal the 24s off the Nirve. Not sure where I'm going yet on this one, need to do an inventory. Need to do some mock ups, definitely color in the rims one way or another.

I think it was white/cream up from, looks like there's some dart patterns in the rust going ~6-8 " back from the head tube in the photo the rest was definitely red.

Might try this strut fork from this Hiawatha frame, and rusty S2s originally from my RBBO2 bike, they kinda matchup with the old cream color on the frame and they're both rusty enough.

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Still need to re-assemble the truss fork, but a little mock-up. A darker look with wheels from my Nirve

IMG_0705.jpg

like the frame. man i need the raliegh badge off that box. ya still have it. send it to me ok.that bike will, be one crusty critter,yeow.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

don't know why, this came up with the same mess. i deleted it an so just writing this

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Sensor, I know what you mean, I'm highly in favor of that look,

Outlaw, you want the piece of cardboard with emblem? What if I just throw that girls Hiawatha in the box and ship the whole thing still has badge and axle adj screws? Was saving that box to ship a frame if necessary but I suppose I could cut it up, get em easy enough at one of the LBSs

Another mockup, some old drop centers I was saving for a Ward's Hiawatha, but maybe not, dirty and rusty, just right. Tires are blown out sidewalls and won't remain. Skippy, needs a rebuild. CWC fork? Might look good with black handlebars from the Nirve.

IMG_0708.jpg

Yeah, that looks real nice, classic and basic - why mess up a good formula? :mrgreen: :!:

Couldn't use the truss fork, steerer tube way too long as I thought so the black fork it is.

IMG_0710.jpg

Went to remove the race to put a better one on, neck on black fork has some deformation from an overtightened stem bolt
IMG_0713.jpg

Had to remove the shim before removing both, that's the shim the crossbow fork needs
IMG_0714.jpg

The frame looks like my '38-ish CW that I got recently.

oldnewWF.gif

Raleighs are now made in china?
How sad. :cry:
Not surprised...probably old new.

BLASTER, it's close to that style frame but the lower top tube is mounted a bit higher, I have one just like yours though in a Wards Hawthorne.

Did almost a full mockup, had a Miller light that I had done an LED conversion on, but it actually had the right mount for the fork bracket. It would be the best thing on the bike as far as condition. Just nee to see if I can piece together enough older bottom bracket and headset pieces. Seatpost is also one of those weird sizes, may have to borrow the 27/32" post from my Rollfast although I may be able to get a 7/8 to fit with some brute force.

IMG_0735.jpg

CAn actually see the LED is on, a MAGLITE 2 D-cell replacement
IMG_0736.jpg

Got the old tires off and went to work on the hubs, the outside of the hubs are in worse shape pitting-wise than any ND skippy I've taken apart yet, but the insides were actually in the best shape I've seen yet, working grease, not all hardened up and bearings/races look in excellent shape. Checkout how worn the rear sprocket teeth are, each has an inward radius from chain wear.

IMG_0742.jpg

Thanks Jack...I see the diff!
What a neat bike.
I haven't rushed into fixing mine, because I'm not sure what to do or not do either with it's finish.

Can you elaborate on the LED, headlight conversion?
....or maybe there's thread you could point me to?

Blaster, I did post a thread on this subject at one time

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4564&p=45276#p45276

But I changed this light to a more normal LED bulb, just pressed the straight wall mag-lite LED bulb in the plastic threads, there was some crappy contact at the end of the white plastic part for the screw-in type bulb that I couldn't use as I recall so I soldered it directly on. LEDs should be good for 100,000 hours or soemthing ridiculous like that anyway. It's possible to get the threaded version bulbs now.

Here's what it looks like inside

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Time to go surfing

WEnt thru the rusty parts pile and got a headset that worked, although the fork crrown hits the downtube, was going to add a spacer, then figured what the heck it'll save the headlight, just in case.

IMG_0750.jpg

Rebuilt the front and back hubs, someone had rebuilt the rear brake discs incorrectly, had to pilfer some other ND hubs I had. Yanked the old whitewalls off some old S2s shown in one of the original posts, the rubber is pretty hard and I don't think they'll stand up to constant use and pressure but I think they give it a certain rat street-credit. A 7/8 layback bmx seatpost I had also worked to my surprise, don't think I've seen 7/8 on these prewars before. Bottom bracket on this one is narrow and off centerhad to use some modern shallow cups as the internal welds interfered with my period bearing cups. Here's a closer to done mockup.

IMG_0752.jpg

Latest posts

Back