Rule Breaker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my entry. I tossed the WCC to the side cause I have got to many ideas for it and not enough time. I have two weeks off from school and needed a cruiser for campus. I started on it about a week and a half ago but couldnt finish it for school starting Aug 11th. So I came back yesterday and finished it up this evening.

I started out with this 1982 Schwinn Cruiser that a local friend and neighbor dropped off. It has trashed and weathered, so I decide RAT ROD....
The green bike frame is my donor bike (1980s Murray Mountain bike)
S5000473.jpg

S5000479.jpg

Just to make sure I didnt get caught with a stolen frame, I grinded off the serial #. :D
S5000478.jpg

Here is mockup after about 4 days of work.
Rusty Schwinn Fenders
Dumpster score seat
MTB Wheels
Used whitewalls
Higgins Chainguard
Schwinn Collegiate Crank and sprocket
Murray MTB Forks
Added Frame section from ladies collegiate (1970s)
I added a $5 Bicycle Junkyard Headlight and Siren Setup

S5000485.jpg

S5000486.jpg

Then I found this Toolbox carrier tray at the dump like 2 years ago and just tossed it in the shop. Then it came to......it can be a bike rack!
S5000489.jpg

S5000488.jpg

FINAL MOCKUP BEFORE PAINT!!
S5000491.jpg

Well I wanted to go way old school and used whatever house paint I had lying around. I wanted it to look like these barn finds we get today. Afterall that is what most people had back in the day....whatever was lying around. So the paint was brushed right over any decals, rust and even over the previous paint!! The pinstriping is crude and there is still rust on the chrome. I added a little HOT ROD flair with the scalloped headlight. The headbadge is bare aluminum.
This entire bike was built ~in house~. Nothing was purchased specifically for this project!

Found a few colors that would look good together and brushed it on.
Let me know what you think! It's Split Pea , cream and brown!

I went padless on the seat, brown pinstriping.
S5000504.jpg

S5000505.jpg

S5000506.jpg

S5000508.jpg

S5000509.jpg

S5000510.jpg

Wow! The addition of that lower bar REALLY changed the look of the frame. I like the color AND the method of painting. It's probably the closest thing to what the MAJORITY of people did with their bikes 50 years ago. Great bike! 8)

whoops :oops: now i see :lol:

thats what i get for usin the "view new posts" thing

looks a heck of a lot better than before :mrgreen: great bike DD

That looks great. The lower bar helps alot. Kinda looks like the Higgins that Karfer is always after. The paint looks great. The cool thing about house paint is all the colors available. Great job.

Thanks guys! I brought this up to my college campus and cruises up and down these hills great! I had a few people rubberneckin' to catch a peak and the older folks in aww at how old it looks. I have a few more details to hammer out but overall it great!

Very cool bike. I really like the scallop paint job on the headlight. I need to get a light for my bike.

very cool and rules be darned it is cool. and cman you know i got "the higgins" back again right? but i am always on the look out for another i personally think it is the sexiest cruiser frame ever. very well done and the color is great. well done (golf claps)

karfer67 said:
very cool and rules be darned it is cool. and cman you know i got "the higgins" back again right? but i am always on the look out for another i personally think it is the sexiest cruiser frame ever. very well done and the color is great. well done (golf claps)
I love this frame style too! I figured if I cant find one, I'll just make it! I plan on building a few more, they just step up the straightbar design just a little more!

Latest posts

Back