RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the only pictures I have of the frame I am using. And these pictures are in direct sunlight when the other bike is not.
View attachment 155389View attachment 155390View attachment 155391
Great original frame and patina to start with! Keep in mind, that bike in your first photos is a girl's frame, and yours is a boy's. And by the chain guard, it is likely they are different models. All that said, the two blues are probably not the same blue. BUT, no matter what, your blue Schwinn can definitely get that luster back to closer to when it was new.

When I first start to clean, I start on the underside of a chain stay, something that won't be seen that easily anyway if I mess up. I start with #0000 steel wool dipped into a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. LIGHTLY rub the frame , just brushing it really, with the dampened pad. Probably won't take but a few strokes. Then have an old cotton towel handy to wipe off the area. After it fully dries, 5-10 mins later, you can use a clean cotton rag to buff the area to get the 'hazy film' off, and see what kind of result you have. Then you can proceed from there if it is to your liking. Be especially careful over any stripes or the white paint areas near the head tube, as that is usually applied over the blue, and will come off very easily!

Then after the bike is cleaned, I like to use a car wax, applied with a soft rag and then polished after it dries. My main rule that I use in any form of bike customization applies here,

"Always quit before you think you are done!"

Great original frame and patina to start with! Keep in mind, that bike in your first photos is a girl's frame, and yours is a boy's. And by the chain guard, it is likely they are different models. All that said, the two blues are probably not the same blue. BUT, no matter what, your blue Schwinn can definitely get that luster back to closer to when it was new.

When I first start to clean, I start on the underside of a chain stay, something that won't be seen that easily anyway if I mess up. I start with #0000 steel wool dipped into a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. LIGHTLY rub the frame , just brushing it really, with the dampened pad. Probably won't take but a few strokes. Then have an old cotton towel handy to wipe off the area. After it fully dries, 5-10 mins later, you can use a clean cotton rag to buff the area to get the 'hazy film' off, and see what kind of result you have. Then you can proceed from there if it is to your liking. Be especially careful over any stripes or the white paint areas near the head tube, as that is usually applied over the blue, and will come off very easily!

Then after the bike is cleaned, I like to use a car wax, applied with a soft rag and then polished after it dries. My main rule that I use in any form of bike customization applies here,

"Always quit before you think you are done!"
Awesome! I have all of those items you mentioned. And I thought those 2 bikes might be different colors. The girl's bike is a '54 or '56. I bought it off of the original owner's grandson. She was older when she bought it new, rarely rode it and never let anyone else ride it. It was always "put away". Those are the original tires (S-2 rims) and I haven't done anything to that finish at all. The boy's DX frame is a '50. Did you notice that it was a 24" S-2 (wide) frame with a short (4") head tube? Probably a rare frame. I've been doing a lot of measuring and a 26" frame would not have worked for what I want to do. That oddball 24" frame gives me everything I need to make this build possible. Thank you so much!

After taking some time to deal with personal issues, I'm considering joining in again.
Not sure when, but it might happen. Been wanting to build a specific bike for a few years, maybe it'll be this time.
I have all the parts, and the perfect pair of shoes to wear while riding.

After taking some time to deal with personal issues, I'm considering joining in again.
Not sure when, but it might happen. Been wanting to build a specific bike for a few years, maybe it'll be this time.
I have all the parts, and the perfect pair of shoes to wear while riding.

MURICA!!!

1619528020790.png

ONLY 4 DAYS LEFT BEFORE THE FUN BEGINS!!!!

JUST 3 MORE DAYS TO GET YOUR SHIFT TOGETHER!!!!!

1619616825215.png

The sun will rise two more times, and on the third day a new dawn for a new build will begin. This will be my 7th summer Build Off on RRB, and my 15th build built including Muscle Bike, Winter, Off-Road / Klunker, Wagon / Wheel Barrow, and other Build Offs sponsored by the Forum.

Soon another bike will join the stable in the BACK40.
20210428_081258.jpg

First time participant...... and looking forward to it! Have no clear vision of what I will build...other than having about half a frame to start with ....hmmmm

Those are the best kind of builds. Most of my builds have been organic and just develop over the course of the build off. I don't think I have ever had a complete build in my head.

Latest posts

Back