RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a connoisseur of crustiness, a raving rust-ationalist, and a purveyor of patina; I love me some rusty rat rod bikes. However, and there's always a 'however', there have been many cool rat rods built on this site that didn't have a spec of rust on them. And many of them got my vote over the years. I like that we have never had defined boundaries on 'what is a rat rod' and that customization is our main goal; building a bike with it's own cool factor, rusty or not.

Building a 'shiny ' rat last year with RaTs GaSs was extremely rewarding and challenging. It stretched my skills and creativity to new levels. And it had tons of weird, unique parts all gathered together to form one unique custom bike. A rat rod bike. That said, build what inspires you @Reallybigtim and @furyus , rusty or shiny!

Anyway, I found this sheet of 20 cool stamps at my local Post Office yesterday. Who knew that the ol' USPS was this hip? They reminded me of my build last year, which was patterned somewhat after the Spectra-flame Hot Wheels cars. There might be hope for us after all! :grin:
View attachment 155277

You had to bring up stamps! My late father had his hand in designing over 400 stamps, including this one from 2006 (issue, actually in the works since 2003):

52086BA9-AA4F-4B22-ABE3-7AB00045B141.jpeg

He also did the infamous Elvis stamp, which has sold over 500 million copies.

61CA391B-9034-4124-864C-471A0E18726A.jpeg

furyus

You had to bring up stamps! My late father had his hand in designing over 400 stamps, including this one from 2006 (issue, actually in the works since 2003):

View attachment 155291

He also did the infamous Elvis stamp, which has sold over 500 million copies.

View attachment 155292

furyus
That is so cool! I remember when they had the big vote for the 50's (skinny) Elvis stamp or the 70's (not-so-skinny) Elvis stamp to see which design would actually be used. That was a long time ago.

That is so cool! I remember when they had the big vote for the 50's (skinny) Elvis stamp or the 70's (not-so-skinny) Elvis stamp to see which design would actually be used. That was a long time ago.

Actually it was “young” Elvis or “old” Elvis, but everyone saw it just like you - skinny or not-so-skinny. The Elvis stamp came out in ‘93, so the polling had to have been ‘91 or ‘92. He did a ton of other cool stuff, and I’ve got some of the concept proofs hanging on the wall around the house. Definitely won’t accomplish what my father did, but he was unusual.

furyus

Hello everyone, I know I'm a little late to this thread but it's been 6 years since the last time I did the build off in number 10. Here is a pic of the bike I built for that one. My brother bought it from me and still continues to ride and upkeep it. I had a great time in build off 10 and always want to do it again but It seems summers are extremely busy for me and I never really have the time to enter. This year I have decided that I am doing so anyway. I have put a file together with a lot of pictures and ideas and I'm excited about entering build off 16. For some reason I really like the schwinn cantilever tank bike and have a bunch of different parts gathered for another build in which I once again plan on combining old with new and making it look right, or at least right to me. As always I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone builds this year.
20180304_173325.jpg

Hello everyone, I know I'm a little late to this thread but it's been 6 years since the last time I did the build off in number 10. Here is a pic of the bike I built for that one. My brother bought it from me and still continues to ride and upkeep it. I had a great time in build off 10 and always want to do it again but It seems summers are extremely busy for me and I never really have the time to enter. This year I have decided that I am doing so anyway. I have put a file together with a lot of pictures and ideas and I'm excited about entering build off 16. For some reason I really like the schwinn cantilever tank bike and have a bunch of different parts gathered for another build in which I once again plan on combining old with new and making it look right, or at least right to me. As always I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone builds this year.View attachment 155329
I remember this bike well. Definitely one of the best and got a vote from me in BO10!
Looking forward to your next build for sure! -Jim

Hello everyone, I know I'm a little late to this thread but it's been 6 years since the last time I did the build off in number 10. Here is a pic of the bike I built for that one. My brother bought it from me and still continues to ride and upkeep it. I had a great time in build off 10 and always want to do it again but It seems summers are extremely busy for me and I never really have the time to enter. This year I have decided that I am doing so anyway. I have put a file together with a lot of pictures and ideas and I'm excited about entering build off 16. For some reason I really like the schwinn cantilever tank bike and have a bunch of different parts gathered for another build in which I once again plan on combining old with new and making it look right, or at least right to me. As always I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone builds this year.View attachment 155329
I remember that bike. Glad you're back in!!!

@furyus that is so awesome! Much respect.

So how did he get the gig with USPS? Was it through a larger firm or was he independent?

I am very proud of him, thank you. Of course, I haven’t accomplished one percent of what he did, though I’ve managed to carry my own water all these years. He started at the postal service in ‘81 while he was still at the National Geographic, where he retired as Art Director in 1991. He retired from the postal service in 2012, at 83 years old. He never took formal classes in art or design.

furyus

I remember the vote for which Elvis stamp. My friend actually wanted old Elvis because he thought it was funny, but he bought a bunch of sheets of the stamps to save just the same. It's great to have been able to leave behind such beloved and far reaching artwork.

That was my first build off, and I def remember your build! Looking forward to having you back in the mix again!

I remember the vote for which Elvis stamp. My friend actually wanted old Elvis because he thought it was funny, but he bought a bunch of sheets of the stamps to save just the same. It's great to have been able to leave behind such beloved and far reaching artwork.

I should clarify, he didn’t do the actual artwork. Instead, he was the chief editor and gave all the artists direction on what he wanted.

Your friend wasn’t alone in stashing a few sheets; it’s estimated that there are 90-100 million Elvis stamps in collections worldwide.

furyus

I should clarify, he didn’t do the actual artwork. Instead, he was the chief editor and gave all the artists direction on what he wanted.

Your friend wasn’t alone in stashing a few sheets; it’s estimated that there are 90-100 million Elvis stamps in collections worldwide.

furyus

Oh, yeah, and he also bought a bunch of the "Death of Superman" comic to preserve, like a few million others. At least these investments didn't cost him much.

I used that same Elvis pic in my college project on music. Of course I got an "A"!

Just when I burned up my bike budget on rims and springs, this shows up for sale:
175681569_125757136264374_5472735633106032497_n.jpg

A 1950 CWC frame. Dang! I wanted to cut up a frame for a change this year so it's for the best that I can't get it. They want over 200 bucks for it anyway.

Welcome back!!! I remember that sick build of yours well!!!

Absolutely, @Reallybigtim ! I will gladly share any insights I might have into what I have termed a "vintage fresh" build. Meaning, wanting it to look original and keep the scars and dings from along the way, but a re-fresh of the paint and chrome.

My two favorite examples of this that I have done, were both Schwinn Sting Rays, one the '69 One Owner build of my friend's original bike he got as a kid, and the other my '77 Sunset Strip build of a Sunset orange (my all - time favorite Schwinn color) Sting Ray that had been left in the sun too long.

Here are a few photos of each, start and finish. We can go into the process more during the BO.
Looking forward to what you have up your reallybigsleeve!

As I found the '77, in a fellow RRBer's garage! @barnbikes , this was one of my favorite projects!

1977 schwinn stingray project CL.jpg

40544414_680629702304180_2689429763939893248_n.jpg

And then refreshed.... No new paint was used on this bike. Cleaned the frame and waxed it, added new Schwinn approved decals, relaced the crooked rims with black spokes from a bmx bike, new tires, re-upholstered the saddle with new foam and batting and a piece of faux leather from the fabric store, and dyed the seat black. Fenders, bars, crank, wheels chrome was cleaned, and I hand stenciled the lettering on the tires.

Stingray Final 2.jpg
44143093_178596523042830_1403011407233941504_n.jpg

My friend's bike had been converted to more of a bmx style, which happened to many Sting Rays when the bmx craze hit the Midwest in the early '70s. In his case, he wanted it to look like it did the first years he had the bike as an 8 - 10 yr old. It went through my same cleaning process, then I found a color match spray can, a current GMC color, that is the same as the Schwinn metallic blue that the bike came with. New decals, new rear wheel, tires that were era correct, era correct seat and sissy bar, etc. I blue-taped off his beloved Minnesota Twins baseball sticker, and the bike license stickers to keep the nostalgia alive. Fun project!

20160901_074450.jpg

Before the paint was shot over the top of the original patina.....
20160920_101123.jpg

After the single coat of the GMC matching paint.... stickers remained untouched, new Schwinn approved decals over the fresh paint. No primer was used, just a light sanding over the original patina and a light cleaning.
20160926_200535.jpg

20160927_112801.jpg

RaT oN~!

Attachments

• 20160930_190025.jpg
    20160930_190025.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 50
Absolutely, @Reallybigtim ! I will gladly share any insights I might have into what I have termed a "vintage fresh" build. Meaning, wanting it to look original and keep the scars and dings from along the way, but a re-fresh of the paint and chrome.

My two favorite examples of this that I have done, were both Schwinn Sting Rays, one the '69 One Owner build of my friend's original bike he got as a kid, and the other my '77 Sunset Strip build of a Sunset orange (my all - time favorite Schwinn color) Sting Ray that had been left in the sun too long.

Here are a few photos of each, start and finish. We can go into the process more during the BO.
Looking forward to what you have up your reallybigsleeve!

As I found the '77, in a fellow RRBer's garage! @barnbikes , this was one of my favorite projects!

View attachment 155369
View attachment 155368

And then refreshed.... No new paint was used on this bike. Cleaned the frame and waxed it, added new Schwinn approved decals, relaced the crooked rims with black spokes from a bmx bike, new tires, re-upholstered the saddle with new foam and batting and a piece of faux leather from the fabric store, and dyed the seat black. Fenders, bars, crank, wheels chrome was cleaned, and I hand stenciled the lettering on the tires.

View attachment 155366View attachment 155367

My friend's bike had been converted to more of a bmx style, which happened to many Sting Rays when the bmx craze hit the Midwest in the early '70s. In his case, he wanted it to look like it did the first years he had the bike as an 8 - 10 yr old. It went through my same cleaning process, then I found a color match spray can, a current GMC color, that is the same as the Schwinn metallic blue that the bike came with. New decals, new rear wheel, tires that were era correct, era correct seat and sissy bar, etc. I blue-taped off his beloved Minnesota Twins baseball sticker, and the bike license stickers to keep the nostalgia alive. Fun project!

View attachment 155384

Before the paint was shot over the top of the original patina.....
View attachment 155383

After the single coat of the GMC matching paint.... stickers remained untouched, new Schwinn approved decals over the fresh paint. No primer was used, just a light sanding over the original patina and a light cleaning.
View attachment 155385
View attachment 155382

RaT oN~!
Thank you so much. The frame I am using is a blue 1950 Schwinn that has a few rust spots and has darkened (not faded) over the years. It would be great if the original shade could be coaxed out of it. When that color is right, it just glows! Here is an all original mid-50's blue Spitfire and the color is perfect and amazing!
DSCN1244.JPG
DSCN1245.JPG
DSCN1246.JPG

5 MORE DAYS TO GET IT IN GEAR!!!

5.png

Latest posts

Back