RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While motorized bikes don't do it for me, I have no problem with them being in the build off as long as the bike is also pedal powered. They have been allowed for years. I don't see the need to have a separate class for such a small subset of the builds. Traditionally, there have only been one and more recently two classes. Splitting the build off further into various sub-classes doesn't make sense in my opinion. Unofficial sub-classes have been loosely organized in the past with mixed success. I don't see the need to have separate categories, Klunker, Strandie, Motor, Stretch, Lowrider, Boardtracker, Roadie, Muscle, Chopper, BMX, etc......... Just build a cool bike and have fun.
Totally agree KF, in the end we will end up with the K.S.M.E.L.B.R.M.C. build-off. It's all RAT to me.

Speaking of two weeks out..
Do we have a firm time frame for the Annual?
I'm assuming May 1st to Sept 1st...

Carl.
hmmm 5mths,me likey.

AWESOME!!!!!
With this virus, I have been able to give these ole bones a rest... My feels healed, well not in pain 24/7. So I have a build in mind/ a name and some parts...

Good to see you back Kimberly!

I probably won't be in again this year. I've got two resto's going on right now and other people waiting in line for thier bikes that I'll be restoring this summer..

I probably won't be in again this year. I've got two resto's going on right now and other people waiting in line for thier bikes that I'll be restoring this summer..
I am sure you will find some time for a easy build.... ha ha ha... Use one of the clients bikes...

The :thumbsup: was for the 2 restos and other bikes in the queue; not the "I probably won't be in again this year". Your comments, ideas, and 'assists ' are always appreciated! :wink1:

I am sure you will find some time for a easy build.... ha ha ha... Use one of the clients bikes...
I could probably enter the next bike in line as soon as the pair I'm working on now is finished. We'll see.
The :thumbsup: was for the 2 restos and other bikes in the queue; not the "I probably won't be in again this year". Your comments, ideas, and 'assists ' are always appreciated! :wink1:
LOL ... I guess the emoji has it's limits.

Sometimes I get in trouble with 'ideas and assists' when I'm trying to 'help' my wife in the kitchen. :21:

So I'm in for sure. Did a little shuffle in my mind, and figured I could afford the basics. And, if not the rest, I can use what I need off another bike. I have a frame but it is a frame of alloy and I can't weld it. But maybe I can use bolts/rivets. Or ask a mate if he has the equipment , time and skill to do so.

I could probably enter the next bike in line as soon as the pair I'm working on now is finished. We'll see.

LOL ... I guess the emoji has it's limits.

Sometimes I get in trouble with 'ideas and assists' when I'm trying to 'help' my wife in the kitchen. :21:
You are not the only one... Some of us just think outside the circle...
We all say, we are too busy and don't have the time, and in the end enter. How many of you guys have done that?

As long as it has pedals. Never has been a issue in the past.

The 1910 Board track bike is spectacular, Funkme. You’re very talented and it’s cool that you represent one of the major genders. That said, powered bicycles have exploded since you built that bike, and going head-to-head against something like that with a single-speed, coaster brake cruiser or custom, for example, seems inequitable right out of the gate. In this light, I can definitely see where multiple votes per voter should be allowed.

I know my opinions tend to be in the minority around here (which is fine), but I also see motorized bikes, whether electric or internal combustion, as yeah, bicycles, but not really. They let them compete in the Tour de France and I’ll change my mind.

I still think they’re cool, and bought one for my wife. I think that since they have become so popular (ebikes at least) that a class to themselves seems totally appropriate.

I look forward to watching your build unfold in this years build-off.

furyus

The 1910 Board track bike is spectacular, Funkme. You’re very talented and it’s cool that you represent one of the major genders. That said, powered bicycles have exploded since you built that bike, and going head-to-head against something like that with a single-speed, coaster brake cruiser or custom, for example, seems inequitable right out of the gate. In this light, I can definitely see where multiple votes per voter should be allowed.

I know my opinions tend to be in the minority around here (which is fine), but I also see motorized bikes, whether electric or internal combustion, as yeah, bicycles, but not really. They let them compete in the Tour de France and I’ll change my mind.

I still think they’re cool, and bought one for my wife. I think that since they have become so popular (ebikes at least) that a class to themselves seems totally appropriate.

I look forward to watching your build unfold in this years build-off.

furyus
I'm for the 3 vote, sort of stuck on that being a first, second and a 3rd in each section. That's what it was when I first jumped onto this site. Old dawg you know...

But the truth is you are not going head to head with a motor or a e-bike, you are going head to head with another builder, and what that builder has done with either a original frame or a hand built frame, to turn it into a inspiring rideable rat.
Motorized bikes are not a new concept. The first true motorized bicycle is generally considered to be the French Michaux-Perreaux steam velocipede of 1868. And In the 1890s, electric bicycles were documented within various U.S. patents. For example, on 31 December 1895, Ogden Bolton Jr. was granted U.S Patent for a battery-powered bicycle with "6-pole brush-and-commutator direct current (DC) hub motor mounted in the rear wheel"
Just because someone throws a motor on a bicycle, does not mean, they have a advantage in a build-off. The only advantage they have is when cycling.
Motors are there to assist, I have a many, as I like tinkering. And also a few electric. They help with the hills here, and my daily transport is a 1000w 52v monster. I now cycle every where and haul everything with my bike.
My entry for this year is in the back...
1618756729236.png

I have watched many of yr builds. Keep up the good work.

You are not the only one... Some of us just think outside the circle...
We all say, we are too busy and don't have the time, and in the end enter. How many of you guys have done that?
I've done that, but I really can't see it for me this year.

The client bikes alone would take me beyond the time frame of the build off. That doesn't even account for a large sculpted sign that I'll be starting soon for a kayak outfitters buisiness.

If I could enter my own build, I would like to build a custom 1930's Shelby to show case my new line of fiberglass parts. :)
TRM Speedline Parts.jpg

I'm for the 3 vote, sort of stuck on that being a first, second and a 3rd in each section. That's what it was when I first jumped onto this site. Old dawg you know...

But the truth is you are not going head to head with a motor or a e-bike, you are going head to head with another builder, and what that builder has done with either a original frame or a hand built frame, to turn it into a inspiring rideable rat.
Motorized bikes are not a new concept. The first true motorized bicycle is generally considered to be the French Michaux-Perreaux steam velocipede of 1868. And In the 1890s, electric bicycles were documented within various U.S. patents. For example, on 31 December 1895, Ogden Bolton Jr. was granted U.S Patent for a battery-powered bicycle with "6-pole brush-and-commutator direct current (DC) hub motor mounted in the rear wheel"
Just because someone throws a motor on a bicycle, does not mean, they have a advantage in a build-off. The only advantage they have is when cycling.
Motors are there to assist, I have a many, as I like tinkering. And also a few electric. They help with the hills here, and my daily transport is a 1000w 52v monster. I now cycle every where and haul everything with my bike.
My entry for this year is in the back...View attachment 154608
I have watched many of yr builds. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the kind words.

That definitely is a monster. I’ve had motorcycles that were less brutish. And I envy you being by the sea. I occasionally get down to Virginia Beach and I can watch the dolphins and ship traffic all day.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond in depth, though I still don’t agree with you. Every point you made is legitimate (and knowledgeable); we just see things differently. The funny thing is if the rules stay the same or Steve creates ten classes and a single vote rule, I’ll still be comfortably ensconced in 53rd place.

Enjoy the build-off.

furyus

I've done that, but I really can't see it for me this year.

The client bikes alone would take me beyond the time frame of the build off. That doesn't even account for a large sculpted sign that I'll be starting soon for a kayak outfitters buisiness.

If I could enter my own build, I would like to build a custom 1930's Shelby to show case my new line of fiberglass parts. :)
View attachment 154609

Very nice, TRM!

furyus

Thank you for the kind words.

That definitely is a monster. I’ve had motorcycles that were less brutish. And I envy you being by the sea. I occasionally get down to Virginia Beach and I can watch the dolphins and ship traffic all day.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond in depth, though I still don’t agree with you. Every point you made is legitimate (and knowledgeable); we just see things differently. The funny thing is if the rules stay the same or Steve creates ten classes and a single vote rule, I’ll still be comfortably ensconced in 53rd place.

Enjoy the build-off.

furyus
For me it's about the fun of building and seeing other people's builds progress. I don't care if i get no votes or all votes. Ofcourse, winning makes it better but thats not why i enter.

Frank

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J600FN met Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back