Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening fellow rats,hope everyone is doing well. Sorry, but we're a bit behind on downloads. I have been busy, I made some custom doodads (always loved that word) and I made the last few parts of my frame. I also got all the welding done, it looks great and is really strong . We'll get those pics up soon

Soooo... after a long delay in progress (sorry for the wait) its time to unveil some of the progress I've made on "Royale". Thanks everyone for waiting patiently.

So after raising the bottom bracket as discussed earlier, I proceeded to swap out one frame tube that me and the bike weren't to sure about, and ensured that everything is straight. Which is a lot easier said then done. I've been telling myself for years that I need to make a frame jig, but I think its an absolute must at this point in my building.
DSCF0352.JPG

DSCF0352.JPG

After completing the frame mock up I put it aside for a bit to work on the infamous DooDads.
So, if you take an old desk fan motor cover, add the horn button out of a 1967 Olds, mix in a projector beam lens, and finally the guts from a cheap LED flashlight.....
DSCF0353.JPG

Your finished product should be a pretty awesome looking fully functional custom hand built headlight!!!!
DSCF0354.JPG

I started to dig through my old treasure chest and managed to come up with these old ape hangers I had hanging around along with some other pieces I knew would come in handy one day....
DSCF0359.JPG

I proceeded to turn the ape hangers into a really nice set of pull backs.

So knowing that a lot of you guys out there like the DooDads, I like to feel that I am a pretty accomplished DooDadist myself, personally studying in the art of DooDadism for many many years. I hope that my most recent ventures into the realm of DooDads would convince you all of that.

After the seat I started to work on a nice custom shift lever.

I had some more old treasures lying around and decided to go with a handle from a fireplace tool, a piece from an old lamp, and in my opinion a really cool old boat shifter.
DSCF0364.JPG

And the finished product is another fully functional custom built item. A gear shift lever
DSCF0365.JPG

As I said earlier the frame was welded together during the week and I've been hard at work on some other aspects of Royale. We are still seriously contemplating the front forks. I feel like I may have to stretch them a few inches, but we'll see. Any way, stay tuned. More to come very soon!!!

As a fellow Doodaddy, I think you have graduated up the scale of a doodadist to a full blown GeeGawer!!! Keep up the killer work. Brilliant and masterful work brother!!!

As a fellow Doodaddy, I think you have graduated up the scale of a doodadist to a full blown GeeGawer!!! Keep up the killer work. Brilliant and masterful work brother!!!
I appreciate the praise from a Doodad master.Pretty much everything I use when I commit doodadery comes from the trash, it's such a great resource. .Thanks again for the compliments, I love your bike, it looks like it belongs at the drag strip in the early '60"s

You're definitely the doodad champ this year. Great work on the seat too.

Always wondered what the difference was between doodad and geegaw. So geegaw is like the next level up?

Latest posts

Back